Chapter Sixteen

It had been a week since Maleena had broken up with Dillion. However, that hadn't stopped his texts and calls from flooding her phone. Just as Maleena filled up the last bucket of grain for the horses, her phone buzzed in her pocket. Rolling her eyes because she already knew who it was, Maleena's thumb hovered over the "reject call" button, but something stopped her. Obviously, just rejecting calls and ignoring text messages wasn't enough of a hint for Dillion. 

           Knowing she would regret it, but also knowing something needed done, Maleena answered her phone, fixing to just tell Dillion to leave her alone, then she would hang up. "Dillion, if you don't stop callin' me, I will block your number. You need to leave me alone. Do not call me again." She pulled the phone away from her ear, and was about to hang up when she heard Dillion saying her name, begging her to hear him out. "You have thirty seconds to talk, then I am hangin' up."

          "Babe, I cannot tell you how sorry I am for cheatin' on you. I'm not asking for a second chance, per se, because I knew I blew it. But, I am just asking that you will please let me talk to you about it face to face, and give me a chance to explain myself." Dillion paused, taking in a deep, shaky breath. "Please, Maleena. I miss you. I love you. Please, just let me meet you somewhere today and we can talk. Please, I am literally begging you. Just give me twenty minutes of your time for us to talk."

            Rolling her eyes, Maleena scoffed. "There is not a chance that I will meet you anywhere, for any length of time, Dillion. I meant it when I said that I never want to see you again."

            "I want closure, Maleena. I thing we both deserve that. I'll make you a promise. After you let me talk to you today, if you decide that you don't want to see me ever again, I will back off completely, and I won't text you anymore. I'll let you move on, even though that isn't what I want."      

            "Are you seriously thinkin' that by us meeting up and talkin' that we will get back together?" 

            "I'm not sure. That's why I want us to talk...in person. Plus, you originally said I only have thirty seconds to talk, but look where we are now. Three minutes into the conversation." There was that sly, taunting tone in Dillion's voice.

             "Yeah, but two of those minutes were from me talking to you. I, unlike you, keep my word." Maleena argued, unsure why she was still on the line with her scumbag of an ex.

            "Maybe, but you still haven't hung up yet." The cocky smile could be heard in his voice. "I have missed hearin' your voice, Maleena. But, I miss you even more."

             "No, you don't miss me, Dillion. I'm not fallin' for it again. Your time is up. Do not call me again." Maleena ended the call, just like she should have done the second she answered it. 

              Just as she tucked her phone into her pocket, she felt it vibrate, signaling a text message. Pulling it back out with a groan, Maleena checked to see who it was from. No surprise, it was Dillion, already. The text read. "You never said that you didn't want to meet up with me today. Let's meet at 2 at the ice cream place. Come, and I know you want closure. If you don't show up, I will assume you are enjoying our game of phone tag. See you in a few hours."

              "Ugh. I can't believe he has the guts to text me that. What is he-" Maleena angrily said, so upset she was ready to throw her phone against a wall. She despised the ultimatums that Dillion always gave her, now was no exception. 

       Pacing the aisle of the barn, Maleena tried to think of what she should do. Sure, she wanted closure, just as bad as Dillion did, but then again, she also wanted him out of her life for good. Running a hand over her face, Maleena stopped holding her phone in a death grip to text Cody. "Hey, I hate to do this, but I won't be able to make it to the Bible study before the rodeo tonight.