Heartbeat

Phil's POV

I want to scream and run away, but I knew if I followed my primal instict I would most like get killed by him or just someone else looking for victims.

The foot steps were slow and steady, knowing it was only feeding out anxiety and fear. Which was working to it's effect, making Dan and I shell shock and struck with fear.

Another step moved closer to us. I was now having trouble to breathe, it was as if oxygen wasn't fully reaching my lungs. Thinking that was happening, I put my hand infront of my face relieved to feel the warm breath that was coming out.

Ok now that i know I'm not having trouble breathing, we need to act fast. I turned around again to face Dan, who was on the brink of spilling the tears in his eyes. His expression was mostly extreme fear and hopeless. The sight itself broke my heart, Dan was always so hopeful and never saw the bad in people.

With a heavy heart I picked up Dan's hand and led him to the far end of the truck. I sat down on the ground pulling Dan with me. I started to grab my gun, the weight of it was put in my hands. Hearing another step i checked the gun if it had any bullets. To my relief they were some bullets in the gun.

Looking up again, my heart started to ring in my ears. The dark shadow was created by the erie night lamps on the street. A second felt like a hour, a minute felt like a eternity. Once the shadow moved, I knew the minute i looked up I would see the person who stalking us.

"Look at me bitch." A gruff voice yelled at us.

I didn't want to look up, but I knew if I didn't I would either get us killed instantly or he would make us which means he would be closer to us. Nothing wanting him any closer to us then he is right now, I held on to the little confidence I got and looked up.

My eyes automatically scanned him, I had noticed his dark clothing and the sharp, silver  knife he held in right hand. Once I reached his face, i realized he wore a the George Washington mask, he was one of the guys we saw at the park. Yet he looked a little more rugged then before, his mask was torn in half only to show the bottom of his face and his clothing sticking with red liquid.

Noticing my expression, he smirked evily sending shocks and tingles of fear down my spine. Everything in my mind told me to run and scream down the streets, but knowing that is what gets most people killed on purge night I didn't. Plus I wouldn't leave Dan and the state in which he is right now I'm sure we wouldn't get any farther.

I felt something tighten on my hand, noticing it was Dan I relaxed a bit but I knew we were in deep shit.

He took a step closer, feeding off the courage I had I pointed my gun towards him. My hand slightly shaking as I held it in the air. Was the gun always this heavy? Or is it just heavy right now because someone's life was in danger?

Instead of the man stepping back or staying still, he started to laugh. "I doubt you'll shoot especially with all your shaking."

After saying that he took another step forward, as he raised his knife slightly. My finger laid gently on the trigger, as I tried to calm my erratic heartbeat.

His expression lightened up with an idea, with one hand he held the knife up but the other reached the hem of his mask. His smirk was apparent as he yanked it off showing his features. Taking in all his features I instantly recognized him. He has been terrorizing me since my parents death.

"J...John" Dan stuttered out his first words since he's shown up. Dan suddenly found his courage and pulled himself up, standing tall next to my sitting form. "What are you doing John?"

"Come on, Dan you know what I'm doing. Now since you're my  friend I'm going to make a proposal for you, kill Phil and you're safe, I'll even take you to your parents, or die with Phil."