Flashback

Phil's POV:

I heard a scream come from above the stairs. It wasn't a terrified scream, more of a painful scream. One that you would hear if someone was hurting another person. At only 10 years old, I was left alone and told to hide there till 7 am. To stay alert and not let anyone in.
Another scream split the air, this one more painful sounding than the last.
I closed my ears and tried to block out all the horrible screams and laughter coming from outside the cramped basement.
It must have been horrible for the people out there. I glanced at the clock.

6:40 am

Only 20 more minutes. Then it could all be over. We would be safe.
Another scream sounded from above, this time gurgling and deep.
It was the sound of someone choking on their own blood.
"Well look at that, only 5 minutes for you, sweetheart. Let's just do this quick, maybe I'll go see what you have in that basement of yours," I heard that same man voice. He sounded very smug, his words pulling more emotions from his victim's voice.
My eyes widened. 'He can't come down. He'll hurt me.' The thought sent shivers down my back.
"No! No, please! " A woman's voice sobbed out, cracking slightly.
My eyes wet with suppressed tears as I heard a gunshot and the thud of the woman's body falling to the floor.

6:50

Just 10 more minutes. I was sure I could last 10 more minutes. More than that, I depended on it. Footsteps sounded from above, my heart wrenching in fear. Maybe the man was coming over here. I needed to hide. I pushed my body deeper into the closet, making sure I wasn't breathing loudly or making any sudden movements. My mom made sure I hid very well, making me go into the basement's closet, which was very scary. I think it was haunted. My eyes found the clock again, interrupting my train of thought.

6:52

Only two minutes had passed by. Why is time going so slow? I could hear footsteps walking around the house. Most likely looking for some more crimes to commit before the end of the night. I wondered where my parents were hiding, hoping they had not been seen. Those people who died tonight would be picked up in the morning. I wonder how my parents felt about their death.I wonder where my older brother is. I hope he's in a good hiding spot, he's only 17 and he went to help my grandparents to make sure nobody would enter their house.

6:55

Only 5 more minutes. I entangled my fingers around the locket my mom and dad gave me for my 10th birthday. They always gave presents with an emotional value. This one happened to have a picture of all the family together and happy. I remember that day when we took it. I smiled at the fact that mom was freaking out making sure it was perfect.

6:59.

Good. Just one more minute and I get to leave. I heard the same footsteps nearing the stairs. I stared at the door and held in my breath, fearing for my life. Maybe it was that guy that killed the people. I started to cry silently thinking that this was the last minute of my life. I hadn't done anything to deserve this, but I guess it's faith. After all, the purge is important for God and America.

7:00am

The siren rang. Meaning the end of the Purge. I sighed in relief, the announcer's voice on tv cheery despite the recent events. Her words signaling the end of the Purge. I heard footsteps running out of the door. I got up, still shaky from sitting all those 12 hours there in the same position. I neared the door and heard the front door open. Maybe he's back. No, it ended already."Phil!" screamed out my brother, Martyn. I sighed in relief and ran to the door and up the stairs. I opened the door and stared at the scene, shocked. Those mutilated people looked familiar. Those people were my parents. I started to cry loudly, my sobs all but restricting my breathing. Looking at the damage my parents had, I assessed their wounds. My dad had cuts all over and multiple stab wounds with a pool of blood around him, and a tear stained face coated in blood. My breathing hitched, and I forced myself to look at my poor mother lying on the ground. She had a bit less cuts than my father, with a bullet hole in her forehead, eyes looking toward the basement. It was almost like she was trying to protect me by watching who entered and left the room. I couldn't look away. Martyn came running toward me, trying to block the image in front of me, and also hugging me. He rushed us back into the basement and called the police. He stood with his back to the door, a hand on my shoulder, protecting me from the image of our parents. But it had been too late. I had seen it all. We were all alone.

There's nothing for us.