Immunity

(Two weeks till the annual Purge)

Phil's POV:

"Since Senator Janet Berkley is... reluctant, towards the purge, a meeting was held with the other senators . This years Purge will continue but no immunity will be available. That's all for today, thank you all for tuning in." The lady on the TV said. To say everyone was shocked at this new law would be an understatement.
Many are angry and upset because their stores and homes won't be protected.
No one is safe, and that scares loads of people.
"Ugh. I'm getting tired of the same news over and over. We already understand that there isn't immunity for the Purge. Now let's just move on!" Dan said next to me.
Ever since I bumped into him in the restroom, he's become such a great friend. We've been going over to each other's houses and hanging out a lot. He's not bad for a rich kid.
Sure the other guys don't stop bullying me, but maybe it's because Dan doesn't know.
"Phil! Are you even listening to me?" He said amused. I always tend to get lost in thought. While he finds it cute that I stick my tongue out while thinking, I find unattractive and a bad habit.
"Yes I'm listening. The Purge immunity thing, right?"I asked not really sure if that's the topic. He nodded as if waiting for me to give him my opinion.
"Well I guess they have been putting it on the news too much." I said not sure if that's what he was looking forward.
"No you dingus, what do you thing of the whole non-immunity thing?" He said amused.
"Wow new nickname, I like it" I said trying to avoid his question. He might get offended, and being that he's my only friend and I actually like him, I don't want to lose him. He still doesn't know about my parents, and every time I invite him over I make sure my brother is working. I think he assumes that my parents are out working.
"Yes adorable nickname, get on with your opinion. Please Phil I want to know what you have to say about this."he said urging me about my thoughts.
"Umm...well...promise you won't stop being my friend, I'll give you my honest opinion if you promise." I said, insecurity taking over my voice and facial expressions.
"Yes, Phil I promise." He said sincerely.
Well here it goes.
"Well in my opinion, I think it's sort of a good thing. You see now people aren't unfairly safe and the rich people who always buy immunity and participate would get a taste of their own medicine. I know it's not a good thing that businesses aren't safe, but that's what the common people have to deal with, why can't they?" I said getting, fired up about the topic. In all honesty it pisses me off and I'm glad this is happening. It's scary as fuck but at least it's happening.
I looked at Dan, now remembering my other fear of losing him. I expected him to have hate and resentment for talking about first class like that since he is part of it. But instead there is a new realization in his expression, almost as if he just unlocked a puzzle.
"Wow... I never thought about it like that. I guess it does have some sort of justice to it." He said understanding all my points, a sudden emotion engraved on his face.
"What's wrong, Dan?" I said worried, I've never seen him so down.
"Well Phil, I'm scared. This is my first time not being safe completely and I'm sure loads of people hate my family and will try to kill us." He said his voice cracking at the thought of his family dead.
"I'm sorry, Dan. I'm sure you guys will be alright. You guys just need an escape plan." I said trying to cheer him up, but it didn't work that well, the fear kept crawling over his expression. I got up and hugged him. I hugged him tightly to show my that I'll be there for him and will try and help him.
I can't lose Dan.

He's my only friend.