Chapter 21

Juris

I'm paralyzed.

I can't breath. I stand there, at the edge of the woods, staring at the chaotic mess that lies ahead of me.

Lana. Lying on the ground. Heart no longer beating.

Paytah. Leaning over her, sobbing and screaming and cursing.

Aira. Fallen on her knees, covering her face with her hands in complete defeat.

Roma. Looking off into the distance in complete astonishment.

Hanson. Lying on the ground a ways away. Dead.

Guards. All around him, not shooting anymore. They look back at us, but they all start to walk away.

They're done. They're done shooting at us.

"God dammit!" I watch as Paytah slams his fist on the grass, sobbing as he looks at Lana. I've never seen Paytah cry like this. Roma and Aira find their way over to Paytah and Lana, and I walk up too and look down at Lana.

She's dead.

Blood covers both Lana and Paytah. Aira is crying so bad, it seems like she's having a panic attack. Roma is trying to pry Paytah off Lana, but he won't let go.

"Paytah, you're in serious condition, we have to get help!" Roma yells, and she's right. Paytah has blood gushing out of his wounds, and from what Aira said, he's been bleeding since yesterday. Paytah is on too high of adrenaline to care. Roma uses all her might to try and get Paytah up, but for a moment, we all stop.

Paytah's sobs stop, bis blood runs down his clothes like a river, his breathing slows, and he's paler than he's ever been.

Slowly, he falls to his side, taking a lot of short breaths. He falls right next to Lana, and it's a horrid scene. Paytah, who is dying, lying right next to Lana, who is dead.

He just might die too.

"Shit! Juris, give me your shirt, we have to cover these wounds!" Roma yells. I take off my shirt and hand it over to Roma while she rips the shirt in two, and ties both wounds.

But Paytah is already knocked out.

"Paytah!" Aira screams, now overwhelmed with both Lana's death and Paytah's knockout.

"He's breathing," Roma says, "but he won't be if we don't hurry-"

"W-what about-" I can't even say her name without tears welting up in my eyes. As much as Roma is focused on Paytah, she looks at Aira and I sadly.

"We'll come back and get her." She says.

I'm too weak to move. I can't stop looking at her. She looks at peace, though. Her eyelids closed, big but pale lips, and sweat still running down her face. She looks like she's just sleeping.

"Juris, help me lift him," Roma says, and I do. I don't want Paytah to have the same fate Lana does. Aira looks like she's going to pass out too, but eventually we all start to walk.

Away from Lana.

A headache pierces my skull from crying so much, and my muscles ache from running and carrying Paytah. We are all silent. I don't know what to think. I want Paytah to be oaky..