Chapter 5 - Teamwork

Today is another training day, but in the battlefield simulation. This will be your second one. Everyone is always assigned a random team in the simulation. Teams are marked A and B, which square off in the arena. You are on Team A. You try to see what team Reaper is on but get caught up in the group looking at their teams. You head into the waiting room anyway where the large door is. Everyone chats while waiting for teammates to enter and the door to open to start battle. Today your teammates are Reinhart, Mercy, Pharah, McCree, and another who hasn't shown up yet.

Just then, the last teammate arrives. You turn to see Reaper. You were expecting to be on opposite teams. "We're on the same team I see; Perhaps we can group up?" He says. "Sure!" You reply. You were curious to know how the two of you would do together.

5....4.....3....2...1... The large door opens and the battle begins. You and Reaper make your way to the point. You try to get a scope of the enemy team. It looks like your facing Ana, D.va, Soldier 76, Genji, Junkrat, and Roadhog. 

The point is unlocked and everyone is jumping in and shooting in all directions. You and Reaper hang back in a side room. You aim from a distance and take out Genji. You turn to see if Reaper saw and realize he's gone. You look back at the point and see him in his wraith form following an unaware Soldier 76. You try to make your way towards him without being seen, taking out Junkrat along the way. Soldier 76 has started his way up some steps and Reaper materializes right into Junkrat's trap. The triggered sound grabs Soldier 76's attention and he turns to see Reaper stuck like a weak mouse.

You spring after him but half way you get hit by Ana's sleep dart. Reaper's legs might be caught in the trap but he still barely takes out Soldier 76 with his guns. The sleeping affects wear off and you run towards Reaper who is low on health. You try to help him find a health kit. All you hear behind you are the dying breathy rough sounds of his voice. Until you don't. You turn to see him hooked by roadhog, and then lifeless. You know it's just a battle simulation and he will be ressurected in the beginning room, but the sight still puts you in an angered vengeful state. You pull your trigger and fire rapidly at roadhog, killing him just as quick as Reaper was gone from your side. You take it upon yourself to eliminate the whole team at once. It is amazing what determination and anger can do to you.

Your teammates see your sudden burst and eliminations while claiming the point with you, which leaves you a little embarrassed. Reaper is just now catching back up. Too bad he missed your impressive show. Your team has captured the point! You try to re group with Reaper who has already ran up ahead. Once again he is chasing Soldier 76. You remember the meeting with Mercy and hinting at a troubled backstory between them. Curiosity builds inside of you again but it is best to set it aside. Either way you will stay with him during this battle simulation.

He runs in his direction and ends up surrounded by the enemy team. You want to help but he is just getting himself into a mess. Why does he keep mindlessly running into danger? The answer is given when you hear a "die, die, die" and see him aiming at everyone and single handedly killing the enemy team in a spiraling motion surrounded by that black smoke. He is successful with the aid of Mercy who helped heal him. He thanks her and rejoins you.

The whole team is still holding the point for now. All is quiet. It was bothersome to be surrounded by nothing after all of the comotion. Suddenly you hear a loud "Fire in the hole!" And you and Reaper run back to the side room. It was too late for your teammates who didn't scatter in time. It was only you and Reaper now. You have been strangely hoping for this. You stay fairly hidden behind the wall and try to take out enemies while staying hidden. Reaper runs onto the point to fight head on. You keep enemies off of him fairly well until you hear a sort of rocket sound behind you. You turn and see D.va swooping in towards you. This is it, you are probably dead. You shoot off as many bullets as you can and she is ejected from her mech, but you are mid reload and at 1 health. You fall due to weakness and see a darkness form behind her, but it's probably just your hindered eyesight from being so close to death. Suddenly she falls to reveal her killer as Reaper. He grabs your hand and helps you to your feet. Mercy arrives just in time and restores your health. It is a weird feeling. The stream sends adrenaline back into you and makes everything lighter again. It is an instant pick up.

The point has only 30 seconds left and thank god for that. It has been a very long battle and you are ready for the end. The enemies wave back in for a last shot at the point. It sends us into overtime. You run out ahead of Reaper and paralyze the surrounding enemies. The whole team wipes them out. A victory once again!

At the end everyone circles a large monitor. The best player gets a feature. You see yourself show up. Oh no... It shows when Reaper gets hooked and dies, and you take out the whole team. Everyone, including Reaper, sees the grief that was on your face when he fell. Chuckles broke out between everyone. You turn toward Reaper with an anxious fear to find him not anywhere to be found.

To be Continued...