Chapter 6 - Friendship

You wake up not wanting to get out of bed. The sickening thoughts of what everyone must be saying or thinking about you swirls in your mind. You didn't even realize the crush you had until that moment, and even then they knew before you did. But what worries you most is what Reaper thinks now. Perhaps him and everyone else thought you were upset because you considered him a friend, and hardly anyone does. Or maybe they suspect you 'like' him. Either way you are not training today. You just want to hide until everyone forgets, even if it takes weeks.

You reach for the book you checked out and spend the day reading, until lunch time. You are hungry but the cafeteria is farther than you want to go, and also public. Maybe if you run really fast and not make eye contact, no one will notice you. You change into a plain outfit and leave to get lunch. When you are at the cafeteria, you peer up every once in a while to see everyone in their normal clothes. It's so weird not seeing them in their training gear. You decide to grab some pizza and get in line to pay.

You feel a tap on your shoulder and turn to see Mercy. She's in an orange shirt with jeans and a white jacket. "That was quite an impressive fight you demonstrated," She says smirking. "I'm glad to see Reaper has an aqquaintance now." She adds. You blush. "Oh.. heh.
Well, it's no problem. Thanks." You reply. "You can call me Dr. Ziegler when we're not in battle." She smiles. "Alright. Dr. Ziegler." You say.

You pay for your pizza and begin walking toward the hall that leads to your room. "Y/N!" You hear behind you. Before you can make it out of the cafeteria, a group including Soldier 76, McCree, Genji, Ana, D.va, and Junkrat are calling to you. Dr. Ziegler also joins them. "Y/N, come eat with us!" This was the last thing you wanted. You head over and take a seat. Surprisingly no one brings up Reaper or the battle yesterday. It's just idle chat among everyone. You finish your pizza and listen to everyone chatting.

"Reaper come join us!" Dr. Ziegler shouts. You turn and see him with some food. He still has his training gear on. He never takes the mask off. How will he eat with it on? He hesitantly comes toward everyone. He takes a seat next to you. Everyone has stopped talking. He sits there not touching his food (which looked more like an orange and black swirling vortex) nor saying a word. The others start to shuffle in their seats, staring at him. "Hi." You manage to struggle out. He turns his head towards you and nods. Everyone tries to return to speaking and eating. The mood relaxs again and you peer over at Reaper. His hand is on his mask and he is looking down, as if he were trying to hide himself. He then slides up his mask only enough to show his mouth. He looks down further to hide his face from everyone around him. You were the only one sitting next to him so you had a view of his lower face. He is dark but with a grey tone to his skin. He has black facial hair, and looks quite rough in general. There are scars lining his face from what you can see. Reaper began eating and trying his best to cover his face. You were dying to see the rest of it. The sight left you slightly sad. Why did he have to cover it? Sure he may look a little....dead... but it can't be that bad?!

The others begin to notice the way you are looking at him. Their hushed tones consists of concern because of your prolonged staring and his usual temper, but also smiling teasingly because of the interest you take in him. He looks over slightly, obviously showing discomfort from your stares. You just smile at him and look away. Little did you know a smile began to form on his lips in return.

To be Continued...