19. reminiscence

Chapter 19

Emma’s POV

School passed on like a blur. Everything they’re teaching me has already been imprinted in my brain, because of my previous studies in my old school. The teachers’ lesson plans have been lacking enthusiasm because of winter break drawing near.

I was sat in the library, a nutella sandwich in my hand and my homework in front of me. The cafeteria never seemed to be appealing to me after the many incidents that have happened during lunch, so I settled in the quiet atmosphere of the library.

Eating lunch in the library isn’t as bad as I thought it would be. One day, I was sat on the same table like today, with my homework in front of me. A girl, that looked like she was in my year, seemed to be having trouble with her own assignments.

I offered her help, and soon found out we were both in the same maths class. I helped her with the problems that seemed difficult, referencing my own completed work, and we finished off the assignment together.

She still always sits alone by herself at the same table, and I do the same. I think we both prefer the privacy, but so far, she’s the only “friend” I made in this school, besides Harry and his gang, if you can even consider them my “friends”.

I have yet to learn her name, but just as I was about to go up and ask her, two fingers poke me at my sides, causing me to jump from my seat and let out a little squeal. I turn around to see who delayed my previous actions of making a friend, and see the same dimpled smile I saw last night.

“Harry, what do you think you’re doing?” I hissed at him, standing up. I asked him softly, still remembering we were in the library.

“You know, last night was the best I’ve ever seen you look. I thought your hair was quite cute,” he teased me.

“If you were so awake to notice how horrible I looked, why did you make me walk you home?” I ask, trying to cover the blush that appeared on my cheeks by looking back down at my homework and sitting down. He took a seat on the chair next to mine, causing me to sigh.

“Well, I didn’t really like the thought of you drooling on me,” he smirked.

“Ha, very funny Styles,” I say as the cheeks reddening even more from embarrassment. “How did you even know I was here?” I questioned, trying to change the subject.

“Well, you weren’t in the lunchroom, and you probably weren’t with any of the teachers, so I put two and two together.” Or you followed me, my subconscious adds. Silence overtook the two of us, me trying to figure out why I keep acting paranoid, and Harry not knowing what to say.

I could feel him stare at me as I work on my coursework, hoping for an answer. I sighed and finally spoke up, “We should, um, we should do that again,” I try to change the subject, again.

“What do you mean?”

“Like what happened last night,”

“Oh, you mean sleep together?” A knowing grin appears on his face. At this point, I bet my face looked as red as a tomato, so I tried hiding it behind a book. A finger pushed it away from my face, so I looked down, not expecting another finger to tilt my chin up. I looked into his damn eyes again, and got lost into the pools of color that it holds. Suddenly, I snapped out of my gaze when I heard a book fall somewhere around the library, I found my voice again.

“N-no, I meant hang out,” I stuttered, “Like we used to before, and we slept separately actually, on my couch, at about the same time.

“Right, let’s try to make it to the bed next time, yeah?” he joked. I gasped and nudged him on his side, shushing him from making anyone else hear. He laughed at my reaction, but continued anyways. “But yeah, we could hang out today if you’d like? I’ve got rehearsal with the boys later, you should come.”