21. mind games

Chapter 21

I’m sporting a pair of blue high-waisted jeans, and a midnight blue cropped-knit jumper adorns the upper half of my body. My jeans reach a few centimeters under my bellybutton, where it hardly meets the end of my sweater, so if I were to barely lift my arms, my navel would be on display easily.

I put my hair up into a high-ponytail, catching all the small hairs that weren’t long enough to fit and used them to frame my face. I exit my bathroom and spot Camryn checking her outfit choice in front of the mirror. My white lace dress seemed longer on her than it did on me, but Cammy rocked it way better than I ever could. She soon notices my presence in the room again, and looks at me through the mirror.

“How do I look?” She says, twirling around for me, yet still checking herself out through the mirror.

“Keep the dress.” She suddenly stops and looks at me, wanting to protest. “It looks way better on you than it ever will on me.” I say to reassure her.

She smiles in return, and finishes off her outfit with her maroon-colored Doc Martins, paired up with ruffled socks peeking up at the top, and a denim jacket she brought earlier.

“I never knew that, “shy Cammy” was such a stylist?” I ask her.

“It comes out if you have such a great closet like yours.” She says smiling.

She turns around and looks me up and down. I get quite insecure as she seems skeptical about something. I close my eyes as she advances her way towards me, but relax when I only feel her taking down my ponytail.

“Your hair is perfect! Leave it down, it suits the outfit better.” I huff in annoyance, not liking the idea of my hair getting everywhere while at a party. “Now tell me what’s going on with you and that Styles boy.”

“We’re just friends,” I reply, awkwardly chuckling at the end.

“What’s your definition of “friends”?” She teases, while wiggling her eyebrows at me. I nudge her to shut up, but all she does it just laugh. “No, but seriously, you guys look cute.”

“Thanks, but no thanks.” I get up from my position on my bed and head over to put on some makeup.

“I’m serious Emma! Your babies wou-“

“Camryn!” I say interrupting her ramble. “It’s about time we should start walking over there, and don’t you dare say anything about babies.”

She puts her hands up in surrender as we head downstairs to leave.

My mom catches us before we left, and asked if we need a ride there. Camryn brought her car, so we kindly declined the offer. “It might rain later too!” She warns us before we’re out the door. Before I could close and lock the front door, I could hear her yell, “Wise choices remember!” making me and Camryn laugh at her weird behavior.

The party was a bit closer that where the last had been, reassuring me that if anything happens, I could just run home. I told myself that once Harry is done performing, I can leave. We exit her car and make our way up to the front door. Once we knock, I was surprised to see Zayn open the door.

“Hey, welcome guys, come in.” He offers us smiles, which we reciprocate back to him.

“Thanks Zayn, but is this your place?”

“Yeah, our friend had to cancel, so we just decided to throw the party here.” He answers with a smile.

He leads us to a room, and I notice that all the boys were there besides Harry. It also looks like Camryn and I are the only ones who arrived so far. I keep looking around for any sign of the curly-haired poof, until the sound of Zayn’s voice stills my actions.