13. hide and chat

Chapter 13

Emma’s POV

The next day, passed by like a blur. I spent the whole day unpacking, and rearranging my new, old room. It looked the same, but I just painted the walls a different color, instead of its old, vibrant pink, it was before. I then helped my mom arrange the whole house, making it look like how it was when I was a little girl.

Nostalgia flooded my senses as I looked around and noticed everything nicely in place. Gemma and Anne visited, helping my mother and I arrange the house. Dan was busy with papers at home, Dad was, of course, at work, and they told us that Harry was out with friends. Thoughts of what Harry was doing clouded my mind as I position the pillows on the couch, but Gemma told me something that blocked out all my thoughts of my childhood friend. She’s going back to her university in January, which is only a few weeks away.

After we busied ourselves around the house, we all sat down for tea, but Gemma soon had to go, stating her friends were in town. As she excused herself, I asked my mother if I could take a walk, wanting to stop by sites and refresh my memory of this small town.

I put on my shoes and my coat, and head out of my neighborhood, wanting to visit a place that I dearly miss.

I stepped onto the snow covered ground-- green grass and spring flowers used to surface the area before the winter season came-- as I took in the old park I used to play at. The swing set, slide, and playground, all covered in a layer of frost. I laughed at the small memory of when I licked the monkey bars, my tongue getting glued to the ice surrounding it, and receiving a difficult burn from being yanked off. The flashback flew by my eyes, before I could stop myself from thinking about it.

*flashback*

I was covered by thick layers of jumpers and coats, making myself look like a marshmallow. A beanie and scarf protected my neck and head from the cold, and the flesh of my hands, hidden beneath a pair of gloves. I loved the snow, so as soon as I saw the park concealed with a thick layer of it, I ran towards the icy playground. I had no idea where my mother was, but I didn’t care. All I was concerned about was making the best snow angel ever.

I fell on the white frost, and then stretched out my arms and legs. I shifted them up and down to create the “angel’s” wings and dress. I stood back up to marvel at my work, but then a ball of snow came flying behind me, hitting my back and making me fall, face first, back into the snow and into my artwork.

I heard a howl laughter from behind me and I could already tell who threw the snow at me. I got up, brushed the snow off myself, and then turned around to face my assaulter. Of course, my archenemy, Harry, stood behind me. We were only four years old and went to the same Primary School, where he decides to always pick on me. Our parents were friends, but we certainly were not. Unfortunately, we were neighbors, so we saw each a lot.

“Look at what you did Harry! My snow angel is ruined.” I said, adding a pouty face to make him feel bad.

“Can you sush! Our mums are right there, I might get in trouble!” He hushed. His face held an expression of anger, but he also managed to look worried that he might get caught for messing with me. “But anyways, you can never be as cool as me! You’re just a goodie-two-shoes like the angel you just fell on!” He laughed at me, but also stuck his tongue out at me like the brat he was.

Something built up inside me and I snapped back at him. “Be quiet Harry! I could be as cool as you!”

“Oh really? Let’s see, let’s see you lick the monkey bars over there.” He instructed me, with that little smirk of his, that I not-so-kindly, want to smack off his face.