Chapter 2

Nikki's Pov

   I spot my mother talking to Esther's mother. They keep glancing at me and Esther who is at the opposite side of the room. Esther makes her way over to me. Her mouth is in a firm line. She's still mad at me for last week. That's very unusual. She's never held a grudge against me before. After all, I found out that I can insult her openly and she lets it pass. Maybe she's actually starting to be intelligent. "Hi." Esther greets me without a smile. I ignore that. "Oh, hi!" We stand in silence for a few minutes. She makes the first move. "Is it me, or are our parents planning something?" We peek at our parents to see them hastily turn away. "I think you're right. Whatever it is, it doesn't look good." Esther agrees. At that moment, Tayla, my best friend, arrives. "Hello, Nikki and Esther!" "Hi!" I hug her. Esther gives her a tight smile and a nod. "Awh, can you come over today? We don't have school for two weeks, so maybe we can have a sleepover." I ask her, ignoring Esther. Tayla jumps up and down excitedly. She's the one in the group with the enthusiasm. "I should be able to. Let's ask your mother." "Hang on. She's coming this way. I'll ask now." Oh, no. She isn't alone. Esther's mum is with her. Pushing that aside, I ask her anyway. "Mum, can Tayla come over, today, please?" My heart sinks as my mum shakes her head. "Sorry, but we have other plans. You and Esther are going camping together this week." Me and Esther gawk at each other in horror. At the same time, we protest.

"What?! Why? Me and Tayla wanted to hang out this week!"

"I wanted to relax this week! I want to read the Rangers Apprentice series! I still haven't read books 10 and 12! I'll never get that done if I'm camping!"
   Our mothers look at us, annoyed. "We're doing this for your own good. You two have been glaring at each other like you want to tear them apart. You'se used to be best friends. We want it to stay that way." Our parents stand firm despite our whining. "And there's more." I groan. How can it get any worse? "You won't have any WiFi, internet, or credit." Esther remains silent. She doesn't really care about that stuff. As for me, HOW THE HECK AM I SUPPOSE TO SURVIVE??!! "What? What do you mean no credit?" I ask haughtily, even though I know the answer. "I mean as in no contacting other people." This will not end good.

  ₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪₪

  "You've got to be kidding me." My mother pulls into a property with one building: the bathroom. "Umm, where's the house?" "There is no house. You and Esther are going to be camping out here without other people around." "No one else is coming?" "Nope. It's just going to be you and Esther." Really?