Chapter 8

Esther's Pov
  I've been walking since 11:00 p.m. once I was sure Nikki was fast asleep. She probably knows I'm gone by now. I just have to take a break from people. I walk faster to keep away. I make certain, small landmarks that Nikki won't notice. Soon, I need to take rest, so I lean back and close my eyes. It's so blissful out here without modern civilization. Once rested, I open my eyes and continue. I suddenly realize that I haven't seen any eucalyptus trees ever since I opened my eyes. In fact, nothing looks familiar. I go back to look for a landmark. I can't find one. I search really hard, but come up with nothing. What's happening? The terrain changed too. Instead of dry, tall grass, thick green grass covers the ground. Instead of the usual eucalyptus trees, white box, red gum, and pine trees, trees that I don't recognize surround me. I start to panic, but then I remember that I'm not due back home for another five days. I might as well relax. A scream pierces the air. So much for relaxation. I run in the direction it came, and come across a horrible sight. A family is herded against a house as big, ugly creatures advance, chanting wordlessly. It's so hard to describe them. Some sort of a cross between a dog and a bear with long claws and red eyes that long for bloodshed. I realize that they're wargals. I stand frozen for a second as the father swings an axe at one of the ten creatures. The wargal dodges it and thrusts its spear into his side. His cry of pain mixes with the scream of his wife. I force my legs into motion. I snatch up a rock and pegs it at a wargal. The stone bounces harmlessly off its weird armour. The red eyes turn on me. All the wargals turn. They continue their wordless chant and come at me. It might as well be David against Goliath. Except this David doesn't have a sling or five stones and ten Goliaths are heading straight for him. I pick up a stick, hoping to at least let the family escape. How am I ever going to explain this to Mum?

Short again. They'll get better. I hope.