Chapter 11

Nikki's Pov

This is crazy! I think that as the young knight gallops past farms and forests. Peter keeps up a little pep talk as we ride. Turns out, he's not a knight at all. Rather, he's the son of a great knight. Sir Calaway, I think he said. Suddenly he looks ahead and says, "Welcome to Castle Araluen, Nikki. I gasp. A tall, wide castle rises up in front of me. I've never seen such a castle. The walls are made of strong granite, and the four towers stand guard at each corner. Peter pulls up in the castle courtyard after identifying himself to the guards. He helps me off his horse and hands the reins to a young stablehand. "I'll go ask one of the senior officers about you. Wait here." I watch him walk to one of the tall, armoured men near the gate. They exchange words. I can see a look of pity on Peter's face. It soon turns nervous. He comes back and starts leading me through a door and up a flight of stairs. "So, what did he say?" I ask him. He answers without looking. "I am bringing you to Ranger Crowley, the ranger's commandant." I stumble. "Ranger?!" Peter nods. "Yes, apparently he found an orphaned girl, too." My eyes widen as I start feeling frantic. Hundreds of thoughts fill my head at the same time. Rangers?! It- this can't be! They don't exist. How can I be in the medieval century? That other girl must be Esther. I wonder what happened with her? We arrive at a door and Peter hesitates before knocking. "Come in!" We enter. A guy with a green and brown cloak draped around him looks up from the pack he's packing. "Yes? Who's this?" Then I see Esther. "Esther!" I rush to her and crush her in a big hug. "You're here! I wondered what happened to you. What happened?" The men look at us. "You two know each other?" Asks the cloaked guy. I nod. "Yes. We've known each other for years." Esther clears her throat. I glance her way. She clamps her hand around my arm and drags me to the corner. "I just need to talk to her in private for a minute. We'll be right back."

Yes, I know this is a short one. Sorry. It was a good place to end the chapter.