Preface

A new story. Yay, probably my fifth attempt. I like this story and I enjoy writing it so I hope you enjoy it as much I do. But thank you for taking the time to read and enjoy! And each chapter will have a quote from a book and the title of the book will be the chapter's title.

I've read many books before, and books were always an escape for me. Books allowed me to escape and ignore reality. My parents always thought my book habits were good at first. But eventually, I closed-off everyone. My nose was always stuck in the latest Young Adult novel.

Eventually, books became my reality; it got to the point where I expected reality to be like books. So I asked my parents to send me to boarding school because who hasn't read a book that takes place in boarding schools? After reading Looking For Alaska, I was determined to live like the characters in books. You could call me crazy, but eventually, I was bored of my life; books were becoming far more fascinating than my plain, tedious life.

My parents were hesitant at first. It sounds crazy if you think about it, your daughter wants to go to boarding school because of some book she's reading. I think my parents were concerned about my book habit, how it consumed me, and how my thoughts focus on books every day. I think they thought I was obsessed, which I clearly was.

I was a good student; I did my homework, and I made good grades. I had all A's, and I didn't party, drink, or do drugs. I was in fact, the spitting image of a perfect daughter. I spent my Friday nights, reading in my bed right after I finished my homework. I was at home constantly, and I barely went out.

It was ironic because my parents were viewed as perfection in my small town. My mom was beautiful; she was nearly fifty yet she didn't look a day over forty. My mom was outgoing and charming; people adored her left and right. She was involved with every charitable event, and other mothers looked at her in envy.

My father had a notable position in town; he was part of the town's council, and he was the only lawyer in the town. He was charismatic and appealed to everyone. My parents were loved by everyone in the town.

I had two older sisters as well. My first sister oozed just as much charm as my parents. She was married to the town's only dentist. She hosted charitable galas and was dubbed as the 'town's sweetheart'.

My second older sister moved to Manhattan, and she was rising in the ranks of journalism. She already snagged a job at the well-known magazine, Cosmopolitan. But for me? I was the awkward, nerdy sister who could give you a well-detailed synopsis of Divergent but couldn't name all the members of One Direction.

So I always felt like the odd one in the family. Everyone else was charming, gifted with supermodel looks, and the perfect figures, which I think skipped me.

I was the defected one in the family. You're probably thinking at least you were smart. But all the members of my family were smart yet they were absolutely gorgeous except me. So I grew up feeling like the black sheep. I, myself, sometimes wondered whether I was adopted.

I think my parents thought that too. They knew that I was different, and I could see that they favored my siblings. You could tell by the small things like giving them extra pieces of candies, going to their open houses instead of mine, and giving them more elaborate gifts.

But I couldn't control that so I read to forget everything. I read to forget that my sisters were more popular than me, that guys flirt with me just to get closer to my sisters, or that my parents loved them more than me. And reading helped. Reading made me happier and it allowed me to smile and laugh. So reading was my sanctum.

Eventually, it was just my parents and me. My sisters moved out and were living successful lives while I continued working out math problems. My sisters rarely called ever since they went to college so it was just me. I was solo because they were caught up in their lives like their social lives, their boyfriends, and their potential futures.

So we started to drift apart and when I called them, they always gave some flimsy excuse and quickly hanged up. Eventually, I stopped calling, and books grew to be better sisters than they ever were.

So my parents had good reasons to be shocked because it was an absurd request. But I saw them consider it and I saw it their eyes, an opportunity to send me away. My parents had extremely busy social lives and were getting to the point where they barely came home. Most of the time I had to eat out or order delivery because my parents had a meeting or some event going on. I could see it in their eyes how they consider how much easier it was to get rid of me and this was the perfect solution.

I was a bit hurt, but I just wanted to get away. So the next day, my parents agreed and they registered me to a boarding school upstate in New York. It was called Woodrow Wilson Prep Academy, could easily be dubbed as WWPA because that is a mouthful. And so that is why I am standing in front of WWPA.

Thank you for reading the first chapter! I hope you've enjoyed it and liked it. And if you did, it would be absolutely kind of you to vote, like or comment!