If I Stay

“Sometimes you make choices in life and sometimes choices make you.” 

-If I Stay by Gayle Forman

I wake up and stretch my arms. I turn to face Park, to find him staring at me. “Creeper!” I yelp and I fell off the bed. “God, Park, you freaked me out.” I said, slowly rising and examining my body to make sure I didn’t have any cuts and bruises from that fall.

“Sorry, you just look so serene when you sleep.” Park shrugged and he slid off my bed 

“Gosh, only a pervert would list that reason.” I say, rolling my eyes.

“So, binge watching TV today?” Park asked and I nodded.

“Meet me here in twenty?” I asked and Park nodded. He headed towards his dorm and I went towards my bathroom. I took a quick shower and brushed my teeth because my morning breath sucks. I change into a casual, plain tee and a pair of skinny, well-fitted sweats, today was a relaxing day, so relaxing that I was too lazy to even wear a pair of jeans.

I noticed it was almost twenty minutes and Park curtly knocked on my door. I opened the door and smiled at him. Park was in his ‘casual’ clothes, but it was more like preppy clothes. He had only a button up shirt with a pair of chino shorts and loafers, please if that’s casual, then what I’m wearing means I’m practically sloppy.

“Breakfast and snacks?” I said because when you’re TV binging, snacks are essential and we haven’t had breakfast and the cafeteria was closed over spring break.

“Sure.” Park shrugged and we exited campus. We decided to be unhealthy and we headed towards a McDonalds. I ordered a breakfast burrito and a hashbrown and Park ordered a biscuit sandwich with hashbrowns. We took it to-go and headed towards a mini-mart. We had a snack haul with spicy Cheetos, a six-pack of Mountain Dew baja blast, a couple packs of Nutter Butter, a can of Pringles, bag of Sour Patch Kids, bag of Swedish Fish, pack of Buncha Crunch, pack of mini kit kats, two candy necklaces and a ring pop.

Park staged a proposal, getting on one knee and using a ring pop. And I said ‘yes’ and I claimed how it perfectly matched my necklace. The cashier looked at us weirdly like we were five years old. And the cashier raised a brow when she saw our basket full of snacks. I smacked a kiss on Park’s cheeks and we pretended to be an engaged couple.

We came back to the store after five minutes past. And we pretended to fight and I slammed the ring in a trash can. The cashier, amusingly watched us and she thanked us for making her day and we nodded as though it wasn’t a big deal.

Park and I swung our hand while headed towards the dorm. I was gnawing my necklace and Park and I would get caught into a fit of laughter, making bystanders, stare at us weirdly. We probably looked like a real couple especially when an elderly lady, pointed at us and told her husband that they used to be just like that.

We arrived to my dorm and Park brought over a few dvds. He had the whole series of Community and we decided to watch the first three seasons because those were the best. We stuffed ourselves with unhealthy McDonald’s food and later popped open a can of Mount Dew and ripped open a bag of spicy Cheetos, daring each other to eat ten Cheetos in a row and trying to gargle the soda and whoever lasted, won.

Sadly, I lost and we also ate the Sour Patch Kids, daring each other to eat as many Sour Patch Kids in a minute. I won that round because Park’s tongue started to go numb due to the sourness.

After watching a season of Community, we decided to watch Mean Girls because that’s practically a teenage classic. We constantly rewind the movie to imitate the quotes in the movies. I make a killer Gretchen Wiener’s impression and Park could impressively impersonate Regina George, he definitely has the screaming down.