Paper Towns

“Talking to a drunk person was like talking to an extremely happy, severely brain-damaged three-year-old.” 

-Paper Towns written by John Green

It was only a few floors up and there I was in front of the door. I curtly knocked on the door, but I highly doubted my knock could be heard through the loud music, but I still wanted to be polite at least. So I waited a few minutes then I opened the door. It was unlocked and I entered the dorm. The dorm was slightly bigger than my dorm and there was music and alcohol, typical party scene… from a book at least.

I noticed several couples making out, I swear I could see tongue action. But anyways, there was a group of people not far, passing around what looked like a joint. In fact, numerous people were smoking cigarettes so the air was filled with smoke.

 I was pretty glad that I brought a book with me; of course I was the type to bring a book to a freaking party. But I was only a few pages till the end so if I finished the book, I had nothing us to read. But obviously there are things called e-books so I brought my phone which had borrowed e-books.

E-books were only used if the book didn’t interest me enough and wasn’t worthy to be bought with actual hard-earned money. I honestly, hoped there was a Barnes & Noble nearby, just in case there are emergency go-to buy books situations. But obviously, I bought most of my books online because just for some odd reason books on Barnes & Noble online are a tad cheaper than in stores, it puzzles me why.

So I buy books in big shipments because if you spend over twenty five dollars, you get free shipping and who wants to pay shipping? So I order three to four books and then get free shipping, those usually last me a month, maybe two if I’m extremely busy with schoolwork.

So that was my book-buying method, it works and I save money. As I was reading, I felt someone tap my shoulder and I whirled around to find, Park. “Of course, you’re the type to bring a book to a party.” Park slurred and I could tell he was seriously drunk. He plopped himself next to me on the sofa I was sitting.

I slowly examined Park, he was cute, but he wasn’t book-version cute. He was cute in an odd way. He had brown tousled hair, the type of messy yet good type of messy hair. He was tall, in fact, very tall, which was a bit intimidating since I was towering at 5’2’’, yes, I know I’m short while my sisters tower in the high 5’s. He was skinny which made him look even taller, in fact.

He smiled far too much and his eyes were blue, that periwinkle type of blue. He had large dimples on each of his cheeks, but his nose was a tad too big and he had large ears for his face. He was cute, but yet the imperfections are what made him cute.

My features were alright, I wasn’t particularly pretty yet I wasn’t exactly called ugly, I was simply average, mediocre. I had auburn hair which I dyed recently with one long blond streak. My eyes were grey, a feature I inherited from my mother yet I had a tiny bump on the edge of my nose and several moles scattered across my face. I had a scar on left eyebrow so there were marks and no hair on it.

My ears recognized a snore and I found Park sprawled over me. He was tall so his feet reached past the end of the sofa and snores continued to erupt from his mouth. I dread the thought of me having to carry him to his dorm. I closed my novel and I placed on the table, so I could come back and get it. I looked for Rina which was easy since her recognizable pink hair and she was flirting with a guy.

“Hey, Park is passed out so what’s his room number?” I asked Rina, who glared at me and ignored me. What the heck? I repeated what I said earlier and Rina sighed.

“His key is in the front pocket of his jeans, okay?” Rina said and she walked away before I could ask more questions.

I walked to Park and I awkwardly slid my fingers in his front pocket. But my fingers felt a pair of keys and there was the key for his dorm and luckily, his room number was on his key. I placed Park’s arms around my shoulders and I basically dragged him to the elevator. He was heavy and tall which was an unlucky combination for a short, weak girl.