Part 4 Chapter 11

Mason's POV
I remembered getting hit with a light Vera shot at me before I was sick and passed out. Then I woke up and everyone was staring at me. I was out again. Now I was conscious once again, but on a soft surface. There was something cold on my forehead. I smelled food. I heard a toilet flush and a sink turn on in the distance.

I opened my eyes. I was in a room with a couch, mini kitchen, table, and a huge TV. Justin emerged from the bathroom and walked over to me.

"Take it easy," he said to me, removing a washcloth from my forehead. "I imagine it's not easy to become a dragonborn from a mortal that quickly."

"Wait... I'm a dragonborn?" I asked. I was slowly absorbing what he had said. Is that what I heard? So that must of been Vera's dragonborn power that transferred to me. Was it transferred willingly or was it something instinctive and out of her hands? I didn't know that was possible, I'd never heard of something like that ever happening before. Maybe it hadn't. Maybe I was the first.

Justin nodded slowly.

"How will I ever get used to this?" I despaired. "I don't have the time to develop and learn my powers and limits there way the rest of you have."

"Maybe tell yourself what you might tell one of your patients," Justin suggested.

"Okay..." I still wasn't sure of all of this yet. It was just so much to take in all at once. 

He climbed into the other side of the king bed I was on. "Ugh, I'm so tired. Now that you're up I can sleep. I'm really glad Vera rented this room for a week."

"Yes, much agreed."

"Peris is going to miss her."

"He'll get over it."

"I hope so. We've got to remember who the real enemy is."

I nodded, sitting up.

"I think I'm just gonna get some shut-eye now. Feel free to eat anything you find," Justin told me.

My eyes widened. Anything! My stomach growled, the deep hunger from the last week catching up to me now. I was ready for food.

•••••Time Skip•••••

That night few hours after dark, Macy, Peris, Lena, and Thalia came back. They looked absolutely exhausted. Macy, Lena, and Peris all went straight to bed; Macy and Lena on one and Peris on the one Justin was still sleeping on. I was tempted to wake Macy and make her eat some of the frozen dinners we had because she'd barely eaten anything today, but she looked so peaceful sleeping I decided to just make her something before she got up.

Thalia turned to me. "So... you're the Mason Holman the then. I've been looking forward to meeting you again."

I raised my eyebrows, saying nothing, and sitting down in a chair at the table. I wondered what Macy had told her about me.

"I've been wondering what sort of powers do you have, and it's obvious you do have powers or you wouldn't be here."

"Well, I have this thing where I can read minds. It's like I can hear in my head what other people are thinking in theirs. I might develop telekinesis later, and I just became a dragonborn today from Vera. Thought I might catch you up on that too."

"Yes, I noticed she was gone. It looks like that's the spirit of isecenfier in you. Plus mind reading and telekinesis. That would make you just as strong as a piorenfier," she analyzed.

My eyes widened. Just as strong as Macy? That was insane, it had to be an overestimate. I wasn't that strong. My only weakness now is fire. Maybe I was stronger than Macy because she has no means to counter my telekinesis. I really wasn't fully taking any of this in though. This day was so crazy.

"We can talk more later, I need to get some sleep."

I nodded and said, "I'll take first watch."

She left to go lie down on the couch. She stretched then curled up in the same cute way Macy does.

Once everyone was asleep, I I kept watch of the only window and door. The clocked ticked by and after midnight I knew I needed to wake someone up for the next watch, but I decided to put it off for another hour. They needed rest. I leaned against the window on my hand. I didn't even realize that I had closed my eyes until I was sound asleep.

A/N
Stay healthy everyone! It's prime flu season! Stay healthy!