Part 4 Chapter 19

Macy's POV
Something slammed into me. A force field. I banged my fist against it but it didn't budge. This wasn't right, I was supposed to defeat the dark lord, not Mason.

Then I remembered something Mason had said to me a few days ago, when he was substituted in for Lena: "When I'm around you, my telepathic and telekinetic powers are amplified." Oh no. Realization hit me: Mason had appeared stronger to the machine because he was with me. Now that he wasn't...

"Ah, my old agent," Nemisan said. "I'm not surprised you joined the enemy. You always were the rebellious one."

"You'll never win!"

"Famous last words! Just as you have grown in strength, as of I."

Nemisan changed form. His dragon was black with devilish facial features. His smile itself could kill and send a shiver down my spine. I didn't even want to think about seeing his talons in action either. Now I didn't have much of a choice.

Mason transformed as well. His dragon was similar to what Vera's has looked like. Mason struck first, spewing his dragon fire. Nemisan staggered back.

Nemisan followed up the attack with his own fire. Mason blocked it with his mind. Then suddenly Nemisan flew up against the wall and blew his fire. Caught off guard, Mason stumbled. He shot again, but this time Mason was ready and deflected it. Nemisan took a hit from Mason's fire.

Seizing the opportunity, Mason slashed at him with his talons. Nemisan dodged clumsily. Mason sank his teeth into Nemisan's wing, causing him to cry out in pain. Mason climbed on top for the final blow.

This was too easy, I heard Mason think.

Spoke too soon! Nemisan's tail whipped around, knocking Mason off, causing him to land hard on his wrist with a sickening crack. Mason was back in human form. His face was drenched in sweat. His pants were ripped revealing a deep gouge where Nemisan's tail had struck him, poring out green dragon blood. Mason clutched his arm and I noticed his wrist hung at an unnatural angle, also bleeding.

I bit my lip. This wasn't good. He could die of blood loss. That wound on his leg would need a lot of stitches and fast.

No, I told myself. Don't think about that.

Mason attempted to generated a shield with his mind as Nemisan loomed over him, back in human form as well. Mason was not only physically worn out, but mentally too.

I thought back to the same day Mason had spoken to me about his telekinetic and telepathic powers. He had warned me that using telekinesis was dangerous because "it saps energy out of you. Probably has something to do with the fact that energy cannot be created or destroyed so it has to come from somewhere."

Oh Mason. He had known the risk and taken a chance anyways.

"Now you must die," Nemisan said, smirking evilly.

No, you cannot die.

When I die, all my possessions and soul I give to you, Macy, Mason thought. He knew he was going to die.

No, you cannot die.

Nemisan drew a laser pistol from his holster on his utility belt.

No, you cannot die because I choose you!

Nemisan pulled the trigger.

"NO!" I cried.

A wave of power rushed over me: Mason's soul. I released all of my pent up hate, anger, rage, and sorrow, igniting dragon fire all around me. It destroyed the machine and deactivated the shields. Nemisan shrank back from me, but it was no use. My fire burned stronger and brighter than his. My heart of fire set the world on fire, and I was burning it down. My flames reached Nemisan, who was trapped in a corner. When they contacted his, they turned him to ash from all my power right before I blacked out.