Epilogue:

Chapter 20:

The days I used to spend worrying about no one but myself, all alone in foster care, with people who never even cared if I lived or died, well, they are all far gone now.

I died. Yeah, sometimes I still think I'm alive. Though I'm always reminded that no one knows or even remembers who I am once I have taken a soul from around them.

It's just me now.

Of course, it gets lonely, but I find joy in taking care of the souls I have to take before they pass on. I take a certain amount of pride out of reassuring them everything is going to be alright. Even though I have no idea what happens once they go to the other-side, I still hold hope in my heart that everything is okay for those souls.

Now today I'm back on the street that is very familiar to me. The main street in a town that held the greatest shock of my life, and death.

My last hometown is only small. The main street is long and has all the shops you could need. The schools are down one end and the medical centres including a small hospital are down the other.

I even though I could pop up anywhere without any thought, I wanted – for some unknown reason – to be able to have some time remembering what it was like to live here. Today was very busy, well, for a small town.

I walked past the bakery and inhaled but sadly, nothing. No smell at all. This happens every single time. Of course, I shouldn't be surprised. I am dead after all. Still sucks though.

After the long walk past all the shops I finally reached my destination. Once again, I was in front of a hospital.

I took out the 'list' and checked the name, 'Blue Lowe.'

"What a pretty name." I thought with a smile.

I put the 'list' away and felt glad that it had been years since I have had to deal with Lautus. I really liked being able to not have to fight to send the souls over to where they belonged. It made my job easier that's for sure.

I walked up to the electric doors and walked straight in. I knew my way around this building, like most of the buildings in this town. So, I went straight to the stairway you were meant to go to if there was a problem with the elevator. I got to the stairway and envisioned the name in my head and all of a sudden, I was in a room with 6 incubators in it.

"Oh no, not again." I sighed looking down at the ground rubbing my eyes.

This part of the job I was NEVER going to get used to. Taking such a life that hasn't even had that much of a start has got to be the worst part of what I did. Nothing is worse. Believe me.

I start to look at the incubators to my left searching for baby Blue. Nothing on this side.

I go to the other side and the first one I saw was a little one that was sound asleep. Barely breathing. Not dreaming, nor thinking. I knew this was the poor soul, but, I checked the name anyway, 'Blue Adriana Lowe.' I shake my head softly and open the container. As I place my hand in it is shaking.

"This doesn't get any easier, does it?" I ask the only one who would understand. Even though I know he won't be able to answer me, I know he would find a way to look down upon me from wherever he is right now. "I miss you Dad." Looking up at the ceiling and giving a weak smile, before turning my attention back to Blue. Poor innocent Blue.

I move my hand until it is just above the baby. I hesitate but know that I have to do this otherwise there will be a repeat of last time and we know what that led to. So, I gently place the tops of my fingers to her soft stomach and I hear the monitor I hadn't noticed go off.