Chapter Four

Pausing for a moment, I wiped the sweat from my forehead. As I did, I glanced over at Riley who was sitting in her stroller, watching me work. Grinning, I wriggled my fingers at her and she giggled, her little laugh making my heart swell with love for her. It was currently ten in the morning and I was mowing the front lawn because Troye's parents were due to fly in this afternoon and I wanted the house to look perfect.

It would be the first time that they got to meet Riley, physically and the first time they got to see the new house Troye and I had bought only three months ago. We were both excited for their arrival, although currently, you wouldn't be able to tell that he was, since he was still fast asleep. He'd been up until two or three this morning, on a business call with his manager who was in Japan for a few weeks.

Getting back to my task, I pushed the lawnmower around the yard, occasionally glancing over to make sure Riley was okay and not getting too much sun on her face. I was almost done when she suddenly started crying loudly, her wails piercing the air around me. I hurried over to her to find Troye getting there just before me. He picked her up and held her against his chest, bouncing her up and down as he tried to calm her.

"Hey, it's okay baby girl. Daddy's got you." He cooed quietly, stroking her head gently. "Why'd she start crying?" He asked me and I shrugged.

"I don't know. One second she was happily playing with that bumble bee thing and the next she was bawling her eyes out." I made a vague gesture to the stroller where the little bumble bee toy lay abandoned.

"Is she hungry?" I checked my watch and shook my head.

"She shouldn't be. I fed her an hour ago. Maybe she needs changing." Troye checked her and shook his head.

"Nope."

"What's wrong Riley? Why are you crying princess?" I asked, reaching to take the still crying baby from Troye. I tried holding her a little differently than he had, getting her leaning vertically on me so that her head was on my shoulder. It worked a little bit, her wails fading slightly but she was still crying.

"Maybe it's the sun. Maybe she wants to go back inside." Troye suggested and I nodded. I side-stepped him, going through the front door and into the living room. It seemed to be the right thing as Riley's wails faded to quiet sniffles. Troye was right behind me, manoeuvring the stroller into its spot by the front door.

"I think you were right, Troye. She's a lot calmer now." I said when he joined me.

"Mm. Maybe it was just getting a little too warm for her. I mean, she is wearing a onesie in summer. And the porch steps aren't completely covered by the roof."

"Maybe. I wasn't going to leave her much longer. I literally had one more lap of the lawn to do before she started crying." I defended myself but Troye just nodded.

"I know. We're still learning, Con. It'll take more than just these six months to figure it all out." He kissed me gently before taking Riley from me and setting her down in her play pen where she immediately rolled onto her stomach and reached for one of her toys. I laughed and bent down to hand it to hear, loving her little giggle when she got what she wanted.

"She's so perfect." I muttered and Troye nodded, hugging me.

"She is." He agreed and I looked at him properly for the first time since he'd gotten up, noticing his tired eyes and messy hair.

"I'm sorry if I woke you."

"You didn't. I was asleep through most of it. I only woke up a few minutes before Riley started crying."