Chapter Ten

"I'll be back soon. I just have to chase up this thing for work." I said with a laugh, trying to wriggle out of Troye's grip but he just hugged me tighter.

"But you'll be gone so long." He whined, teasing. I shook my head.

"It's only an hour, max."

"Fine. But I'll miss you." He promised, kissing my cheek.

"I'll miss you too. But I really have to be going now." I begged, pulling his arms from around me. "We can cuddle when I get back, okay? Promise."

"Okay." Troye pouted but let me go. I hurried out to the car, climbing in and waving to him before heading off down the road.

I wasn't actually doing anything to do with work, though. Troye didn't know it, but his family were about to land at the airport and I was going to pick them up. It was December 18th and they were staying in a motel near us until the first week of February. As far as I knew, Troye had no idea they were coming.

It didn't take me long to find them in the pick-up zone at the airport, eagerly waiting for me. I bit back a laugh, seeing them all shivering in the cold Minnesota weather and made sure I turned up the heater in the car while I helped them put their bags in the back.

"Man, it's freezing." Tyde complained once we were moving again. "How do you guys live in this cold?"

"I'm used to it. I grew up with it like this. And Troye barely notices it anymore either." I replied.

"I don't know that I could ever get used to this." Steele said, watching as the scenery sped by. "And how do you drive here? I mean, there's actual ice patches on the roads!"

"You just avoid them as much as possible and be careful if you do have to drive on them." I shrugged, laughing as I changed lanes to avoid an ice patch. The trip home shouldn't take too long, especially since we were going the opposite direction to most of the traffic.

"Does Troye suspect anything?" Laurelle asked.

"Nope. He thinks I'm doing something for work. Actually, could I get you to just send him a message on my phone?" I asked, the idea coming to me in a moment.

"Sure. What do you want to say?" Laurelle had already grabbed my phone from the cup-holder where it had been sitting.

"Um, just put 'Finished now. Be home soon.' And a couple kisses at the end." My face heated up a little as I mentioned the kisses but she didn't even blink, typing in what I'd said.

"There. Sent and the trail completely covered."

"Mum, you're ridiculous." Sage complained but I laughed.

"Well, it just means Troye will be completely surprised when you show up. Although, he was wearing pyjamas when I left so..." I trailed off, laughing to myself as I remembered how I'd left him.

"But it's evening, right?" Sage clarified.

"Yeah. But he didn't have work today so he pretty much spent the day playing with Riley. If we're not going out, we tend to stay in our pyjamas." I admitted.

"We used to do the same thing, until the kids grew up." Shaun told me as I turned into our estate. "Wow, this place has grown since we were here last."

"I guess so, yeah. We barely notice it."

"You don't when it's happening around you." Laurelle was leaning forward a little, watching where we were going. "We're almost there, right?"

"Yep. Next street." I said, feeling my heart start to race a little in anticipation. "So how do you want to work this? Do you want to come in with me or do you want me to go in first and get him sort of prepared?"