Flames

TIFFANY'S POV

The darkness had covered the neighborhood like a big cloud. There weren't any stars on the sky this night. But the sea was as still as always. It was a silent night, you could almost hear the waves hitting the shore.

I sat in front of the fireplace in Jason's house staring into the fire. The flames were beautiful, it was like they were dancing. I had a blanket wrapped around me, Jason's mom gave it to me. She explained that she totally understood me and what I'm going through. She wanted to help me but didn't know how.

I think it was kind of her. I just, I don't know what I want.

I wanna stay with Jason but maybe I have to go back to my normal life. I mean, I have to graduate high school and stuff like that. Even if I rather eat horse poop than going back home.

But maybe that's the only choice.

I can't stay here forever.

"Hey, I made you some tea." Jason came and handed me a cup of tea.

"Thanks, so sweet of you." I gave him a smile in exchange.

"So, what are you thinking about?"

"Uhm.. Nothing"

"Tiff, I know you are concerned about something, tell me." Jason said seriously.

"I'm considering... To go back home."

There was a few seconds of silence between us.

"No! No, you can't do that." He protested.

"Give me reasons." I said.

" 1. You can't live in your empty apartment alone, you are going to be depressed Tiffany.

2. If you go back to your school, you will be alone there too.

3. You will be reminded of your stupid parents every day.

4. The most important, YOU CAN'T LEAVE ME! "

I felt flattered because of what he said in the end. He didn't want me to leave him. Oh, sweetie. I didn't want to leave him too, I just needed to get my life back on track.

Instead of answering, I hugged him. He hugged me back and I could feel his smell.

"Everything is just so confusing. I need to get my life back on track. I need to graduate high school, I need an own place to stay at but I don't want to leave you. I like it here."

"Listen, we could find a foster family to you, you could go to my school here instead and your life would be great."

"It isn't that simple."

"Why? It's your life, your decisions."

I sighed.

I know it's my life, of course I know. I guess I'm just scared of all this. I've never really had a real family. I've always been alone and on my own. I've always been Tiffany, the girl no one cares about.

It was a huge change when I got here, for the first time people actually cared about me. And I'm not used to that.

Everything was spinning in my head. What should I do? Who am I? Who do I want to become? What do I want to do?

"I don't know Jason, everything is a mess right now." I spoke.

"I understand.. But hey, things will get better and I'm here for you." He answered and put his arm around me.

The flames in the fireplace were still dancing beautifully.

I turned my face to Jason's.

He stared into my eyes for a long time and I stared into his. It all felt like a movie in that moment and I could almost hear piano music in the back of my head.

He was getting closer and closer then suddenly he pulled away.

I started to feel desperate, I really wanted to kiss him, it was like he was teasing me.

I moved closer to him and he pulled away teasingly. God, he was annoying.

A smirk covered his beautiful face.

"Damn it Jason, just kiss me" I almost whispered.

"You can't always get what you want." He said and walked away to the kitchen.

I followed.

Now we were both in the kitchen.

"I know that, but teasing me is really mean." I said.

Then he grabbed my waist quickly and pulled me closer to him. He walked backwards until we hit the counter.

"I just love teasing you, you are so cute when you are upset." He mumbled.

Then he kissed me once, softly. But I wasn't satisfied yet. I wanted one more kiss.

I pulled him closer to me again, wrapped my arms around his neck and crashed my lips into his. We kissed each other hard and intense.

Until someone interrupted.

"Uhm... I think it's time for you two to get some sleep. Jason, you have school tomorrow. Tiffany should make you company."

I felt my cheeks turn red. That was embarrassing. His dad just saw us kissing.. I just wanted to sink through the ground.

"Ye..yeah dad.. Absolutely. So can I bring Tiffany to the barbecue party tomorrow night too?" Jason said to his dad.

"Of course. Now, go upstairs and get some sleep, goodnight."

"Goodnight mr Court." I said.

He left the kitchen and Jason turned around to face me. I was hiding my red face in my hands.

"Okay, I think I just lost your dad's respect." I said laughing.

"Oh come on, it wasn't that bad." He said trying to get my hands off my face.

"Oh, we were just kissing and touching each other, it looked pretty intense"

"Tiff, look at me. Stop hiding your face, you are beautiful."

I moved my hands and looked at him.

He kissed my forehead before we went upstairs to our bedrooms.

And the flames in the fireplace were still dancing.