24: Impossible Scenarios

And so here we were. After Grayson had collected his few belongings, we left to the sound of Sabrina's crying. We walked to the train station, we walked to our house, we walked to face our liar of a mother.

We stood in front of the house, hand in hand, I was more than confident to confront my mother... but I wasn't so sure about my brother. The key was in, the knob was turned.

"Here goes nothing," I whispered to my brother. "I love you," I said as I opened the door slowly and walked in. My heart was beating, but it wasn't because fear. It was because of excitement.

We put our bags in the doorway, Grayson observed the space. Not much different from the last time he was here, but still different. We heard footsteps, and looked at each other. Nick walked in, looked at me and then at Grayson.

"Nick, this is my brother. Grayson, this is Nick."

****

"Hold up, wait... You mean gone  Grayson?" Nick looked shocked, his face pale.

"Hi," Grayson reached over to shake his hand, and Nick accepted it gracefully.

This is strange.

"Isla?" Nick asked, looking at me.

"Yeah?"

"He's alive," he chuckled, and I smiled at him.

"Yes, he's very much alive." I put my hand over Grayson's shoulder.

It had been an hour or so of pure conversation between the three of us. I had been gone for a long time, but under a day. Nick told me that they all had assumed I had gone home to Maddie's for a sleepover.

"So, what's the plan?" Grayson asked. I didn't have time to answer, because we heard a door open. Then close. And then footsteps. Maman. I stood up from my seat and walked over to the hallway.

"You monster." I didn't know what else to say, everything I had to say vanished. Soon, nothing but truth spilled out of my mouth. "I found him." She looked at me with wide eyes, her face pale, her mouth open. I realized she wasn't looking at me, but at Grayson who had come up behind me Nick beside him. Joseph stood beside Maman, as shocked as her.

"Joseph, this is Grayson. Maman, I don't think I'll need to introduce you." All eyes were on Grayson, his hands by his side and his eyes on Maman.

"You lied to me all these years, told me he was my brother! You hated him, always have! What did he ever do to you, but be your daughter's best friend. You took him away from me, forced him to go." I began shouting, and for once in my life she actually looked threatened.

Good.

"Joseph, she payed my brother to fake his death and disappear because she didn't want to live with a child that wasn't hers!" Joseph looked at Maman, speechless.

Is he believing me?

For all these years I've been oblivious to Maman's cruelty and manipulative manner. She was rich, yes. She was powerful, yes. Over us? No.

I will destroy her.

"Sophie, is this true?" Joseph looked at my mother, Sophie, with questioning eyes. She began sobbing, trying to explain herself. But it was too late, my stepfather saved her no pity.

"All of you, go get your bags. We're leaving," he pointed at us; Nick, Grayson and I.

We all went to our rooms to collect our things, and I could hear Maman crying.

"Joseph, no. Please, don't do this. I didn't mean-"

"You've done enough. How could you do this to your own son, both your children?" He asked, his voice stern and demanding.

The four of us in the car, we left her. Left the devil in her personal hell, and drove away. And I felt no sorrow, and I knew I wasn't going to miss my home or room. It wasn't home anymore. Grayson was home. Wherever we were, as long as I had him, I was home. Memories seemed to disappear, San Francisco trips seemed to fade. My life suggested we started there, from the moment we drove down the street. Clean slate. 

Hey Lovelies!

Hey Lovelies!

Next chapter is the last chapter! I hope you've enjoyed this ride as much as I did!