23: Maybe Decisions

"But the reason I left was because she forced me to, she gave me money and told me to leave. And I quote, 'I've had enough of you, take the money and disappear. We'll fake your death and you won't ever show me your face, do you hear me?'" I couldn't believe what he was saying, would Maman really do that?

"You know that when it comes to money, Maman has no issues. So she gave me a fortunate, told me never to contact you or anyone else I've ever made contact with. I knew that I didn't stand a chance against here, Isla." I looked at him with eyes as big as the moon.

"She has power and money, and I'm a lonely fifteen year-old with schizophrenia. So I faked my death and fled. Fled to here. I had a bunch of money and no plan, and somewhere along the process I landed here. Sabrina chose to help me, and I'll forever be grateful for her. So please, don't blame her for anything. She's the reason I'm still alive."

I let his words sink in, my brother wasn't really my brother. Or he was, but half. My mother was a monster, a bigot. I would never in a million years forgive for what she had done toward Grayson or me. Never.

"Look, it's going to be hard. Really hard. But everything is going to be fine," I started, "we'll live with Joseph and Nick and-" that was when I realized that Grayson knew nothing of the new family members. His eyebrows were furrowed, an expression I hadn't seen in what felt like years. "Oh yeah, I totally forgot to mention it. You have a new father and brother."

Grayson's face goes slack, and I chuckle. "You'll love them, don't worry," I reassure him.

"Isla, I'm sure they're great and I'm confused when Maman actually remarried. But what do you mean I'll love them? I'm not coming back, you have to accept that." His voice was low, and he looked like he was in pain.

"What the- wh-What do you mean you're not coming home. Of course, you are." I took his hand. "You have to." His eyes met mine and I continued to plead. "You don't understand, if you don't come back... I'll die. I can't handle losing you more than once. The whole town thinks I'm crazy! Maman forces me to therapy and hospitals and medication! I don't deserve that, and neither do you! You can't stay here forever, Grayson." I hoped he'd understand. And it looked like I had convinced him, just for a moment.

"No. You won't leave me!" Sabrina came, she had been eavesdropping. That coward. "You can stay here, with me as long as you want." She walked over to him. "Please, Grayson. I need you." Sabrina looked older than me, why would she want Grayson to stay?

Grayson looked at me and Sabrina, his eyes moving from her to me.

Is he really deciding on which to choose, is he kidding? What would he do here for the rest of his life? Hiding. He had to face his fear. My mother.

"I'll go."