That Word Is Love: Chapter 9

COMPETITION WEEK 1- THURSDAY

"Demi, what do you want?" Aaron asked, looking hilarious in his apron with the words 'Kiss the Cook' emblazoned in rhinestones.

"Oh, that's okay," I said quickly. "I can make my own breakfast."

Isaac grinned. "Yeah, we know. We saw the mess in the kitchen last night remember?"

"Oh, God," I buried my head in my hands, embarrassed. "Don't even. That was Simon!"

"Whatever you say, DemDem," Layla laughed, flicking my hair. "Now what do you want? If he wants to work, let the man work."

"Hey!" Aaron protested, waving the spatula in her general direction. "I resent that."

"I'm sorry, didn't you volunteer to cook?" Layla teased.

"Only because you and Brielle didn't, and the little guy was about to. He would've made a bigger mess than Demi!" Apparently, Sergio was unanimously 'the little guy' now.

Layla was frowning. "Dude, if we did it, it would be sexist. You don't want to be sexist do you?"

"Yeah," I added, "but if you cook, it's subversive and admirable. C'mon," I nudged him lightheartedly, "Who doesn't love a little gender role reversal?"

"Fine then." Aaron pointed the frying pan at me with one hand, the spatula still pointing at Layla with the other. "You, garden. It ain't gonna weed itself. You, garage. The car needs to be cleaned."

"Pancakes?" I prompted smartly, ignoring his order. My mouth watered at the smell of Sergio's pile of steaming, buttery pancakes. Yum.

Aaron aughed, dropping his act of annoyance. "Coming right up."

I smiled a greeting at Brielle, who was speaking in hushed tones with her father, sitting at the counter next to Sergio and Isaac. "Good morning," she whispered to me, moving the phone from her ear. "Non, Papa, not you."

"Here ya go!" Aaron slid a plate with a perfect, round pancake towards me, and I dug in gratefully, giving him a nod of thanks. I was warm, and not quite well-rested, but eating good food amongst people I liked, and having fun. I was as happy as I'd been in a long while as I watched everyone eat and pay Aaron compliments.

Brielle was finishing up on the phone. "Oui, I will. Okay, I'll see you tomorrow. Tu me manques."

Ding-dong!

"I'll get it!" Sergio yelled immediately, and ran out. I smirked at his enthusiasm- the kid was like a puppy. Two seconds later, he called to the rest of us: "Guys, come see this!"

We all followed him to the door, Brielle still on the phone. I paused at the doorstep- six cardboard boxes were lying in a neat pile near the steps, plain and unmarked except for postal codes. That was weird: Simon hadn't said anything to me about packages arriving, had he? From the looks on the others' faces, they had no clue either.

"Should we take them?" Isaac asked, pushing at one with his toe warily.

I bent down to examine one, trailing my nails over the taped edges. "Why not? It's probably from the producers."

"What if it's like, a bomb or something?" Sergio asked nervously. "What if it's not from the producers?"

Layla wrapped an arm around him and squeezed. "You worry too much, little guy."

Brielle shushed us suddenly with a hand raised. "No, Papa, six of them... cardboard... T'as l'envoye? For sure?" She motioned to us to bring them in. "Our parents sent them! Merci, Papa. I love you. See you tomorrow!"