That Word Is Love: Chapter 20

Authors note:

Before you read this chapter, to make sure you fully understand it, read this (what Demi's father makes her repeat to him): "I'm worthless. I'm a slut, and a freak, and a burden. I don't have anything useful to offer anyone. I'm insignificant. I don't deserve anything, and no-one could ever love me." He also frequently calls her a little terror. Just remind yourself of how he speaks to her and what kinds of things he says, then go ahead and read this.

Thanks x 😍

COMPETITION WEEK 3- MONDAY:

The limousines had shown up for us individually this time, pulling up sleekly outside our houses. Apparently, we were treated like celebrities the further we advanced in the competition. Well, I wasn't going to complain.

"I'll see you later, Demi," Dad called out as I dragged my bags to the limo, and I turned around to see him waving. My fingers curled briefly into a gesture that just barely resembled a wave back, before I slipped into the backseat and shut the door with a quiet click. Time to go back.

It was that week this week, the one I never wanted to talk about or mention, ever. I wasn't going to think about it at all.

XXX

I was the first one in, and the mansion was cold and silent, even as the sunlight filtered through the half-open curtains in the living room. Slowly, taking care not to jostle my newly-injured ribs and back, I started lugging my suitcase up the stairs.

Layla, for some reason, wouldn't be coming in until early afternoon, while Isaac and Aaron burst- very loudly, making me wince- through the front doors just a little after I did, yelling out greetings to the entire empty house.

I stayed in my room, not wanting to go down. Simon came in a little after Layla, but I still didn't go down. I didn't want to, and I guess they assumed I was busy writing songs or something because they left me alone.

The real reason was that I didn't want what I couldn't have. I couldn't have this life- or, I could, but not in the way I wanted it. I cared about all of them, and I knew they cared about me at least a little, but it didn't matter. Nothing mattered.

Only Dad mattered.

At around lunchtime, I heard Aaron thumping up the stairs to use the bathroom. On his way back down, he knocked cautiously on my door. I didn't reply, and he left after a few seconds of silence, but I figured I was pushing it if I stayed in my room any longer. So, begrudgingly, I went downstairs, seeing them all in the kitchen.

Simon was there too, but he was in the living room, and had his nose buried in a book. He looked up and nodded at me in acknowledgement, then returned to its pages, engrossed.

"Hi, Demi!" Isaac bubbled. Ugh, I really didn't want to be here. I didn't want to be happy. What was the point, when it would never last?

"Hey," Layla came over to me and gave me a warm hug. "How are you?"

"Fine," I replied shortly, shrugging out of the hug.

"Hi," Aaron greeted me. "How was your weekend?"

I forced myself not to roll my eyes as I was forced to reply with a lie that flowed off my tongue with an ease borne from years of practice. "Great. It was great."

"That's good... so was mine!" Aaron's smile was genuine, while mine barely touched my mouth, let alone my eyes. I could never have this, any of it. It was all just a façade, a cleverly designed lie that fooled me into believing that I was normal, and worth it. They loved the fake Demi, the one who wasn't abused by her father and who was normal.