Epilogue: Family Is Where The Heart Is

Neverland Ranch, Saturday 12th October, 2008.

Michael's point of view

With my reading glasses on my nose, I took some time to read some of the letters my fans sent me, while I was waiting for a call from a famous radio in L.A. It brought so much joy in me that, after all this time, my fans stuck with me through my entire career. Even though I had been a bit absent for the last few years, they stayed loyal, and I was thankful for that.

Some of the letters I received were from people who followed me from day one, from my days as a member of the Jackson 5, and some others were just kids. Kids who were seven, some others who were sixteen. Their words meant a lot to me. Even though I didn't know them, knowing I was such a big part in their lives and education, somehow, made me proud of myself. With my music, I touched them in some way, and for an artist, this is what matters the most.

I smiled down at the messy handwriting of Kyle, a seven year-old little boy, who wrote about how much he loved me, and that his dream was to become just like me when he grows up.

A knock on my door interrupted my reading, and soon after, I saw my daughter's little face peaking inside the room.

"Isn't that my baby girl," I grinned, putting the piece of paper down. "What is it, Malia?"

"I was wondering what you were doing," she smiled innocently, coming inside my office.

"I am just reading of few letters. Where is your sister?"

"She wanted to help mommy in the kitchen," she shrugged, and climbed on my lap. "Can I help you read these?" she asked, taking another letter in her tiny hands.

"Sure," I giggled, and laid a kiss on top of her head. "What is your brother doing?"

"He's been in the bathroom for at least an hour," she giggled, and I melted inside at her little high pitched laugh, as every time I did for the past five years since the very first time I met her.

Five years ago, June and I took a trip to Gabon to help those in need thanks to the Heal The World foundation. We visited multiple orphanages through the country, but at the second our eyes landed on Malia and Ada, we knew they would be our daughters. The twins were only two year-old at the time, but they had this joy in them, these smiles on their face,... This is what made us both fall in love with them. The following year, we were able to bring them to Neverland, the place they have been calling home ever since.

"Today is his sixteenth birthday, he wants to look perfect for everybody," I explained with a smile, as I played with her frizzy hair.

"Gracie keeps saying he is just nervous because Ellie is coming, and he has a crush on her," she giggled with a hand over her mouth, and I chuckled along with her.

"Your sister just loves to tease him about that, but I'm sure Travis will get his revenge when she will have a boyfriend... in a long time from now," I added, gulping hard at the simple idea that one of my girls would bring a boy home.

My daughter simply laughed, and went back to rummaging through the different papers scattered across the desk to find the one she wanted to start reading. While she was doing so, my cellphone finally rang, and I instantly picked it up.

"Hello?" I softly said through the receiver.

"Please hold the line, you're going to be redirected."

"Who's that, daddy?" Malia whispered to me.

"It's someone who wants to ask daddy a few questions."

"Do you want me to go?" she sweetly asked, looking at me with her brown doe eyes.

"You can stay here, baby, it's alright," I smiled, and kissed her chubby cheek.