Part 43: High

June's point of view

My mind was a bit off as Dave and Becks were talking to me, due to the few drinks I had. It was harder for me to focus at that point, so I decided to be reasonnable and put my drink down. I didn't want to be wasted. This is not how you celebrate your engagement.

I studied the people in my house, and realized that there were much more people than when I first came in. I tried to study their faces to try to recognize them, but my vision was a little bit blurry, so I just let it go.

However, as I looked around the messy appartment, my stare met Tara's, and I felt a wave of courage washing over me, and stood up to go talk to her. I lost my balance at first, but then I gained my composure back, and walked towards her in a more condifent pace.

"Can we talk? P-Privately?" I asked through the loud music, stuttering because of the hiccup I had.

"I thought you'd never ask," she said, a ghost of a smile appearing on her face.

I motionned her to follow me, and she did, taking her cup with her.

I didn't like to think that I was a bad person to let people underage drink alcohol, but this was a party, right? And there's alcohol at parties, because parties are normally organized by adults for adults, so the people present were responsible enough to take their own decisions on whether to drink alcohol or not.

Okay that's some bullshit. I just tried to reassure myself to feel less guilty.

As I arrived in my bedroom, I let Tara in, and closed the door behind the both of us. We both sat on the edge of the bed awkwardly before Tara decided to speak up.

"We keep meeting at parties, huh?"

"Looks like it," I chuckled slightly. "I didn't expect to see you here. Well, I mean, I didn't expect to see any of you, but certainly not you."

"I needed to talk to you," she lowly said, looking down at the floor, "about Prince."

I gulped. Of course, who else would that be about.

"We um-- we broke up."

Should you say something like... my bad? My drunk conscience asked me, and I chuckled a little.

"This ain't funny, June, what the fuck?" Tara shouted a little, visibly hurt by my behavior.

"I'm sorry, no it's not. I've been drinking too much, that's all," I said, shaking my head a little, trying to have my ideas clear and put away my consience's whispers. "What happened?"

"I can't believe you're so insensitive. I'm not talking to you in that state," she shook her head, standing up to walk away.

"No, Tara, please!" I called, standing up as well. "I-- I didn't mean to react like this. Like I said, I had too much alcohol. Please stay. We really do need to talk."

"I don't want to talk to you while you're drunk. It's pointless."

"I'm not drunk, I'm just a little bit tipsy okay? Look," I said, lifting a leg up to show her I still had my balance (well, at least a part of it), "I'm fine. Please, sit back down."

She sighed heavily, and sat back down on the bed, "this is just so awkward. After what I told you back in New York, I thought you'd throw me out of your house."

"I'm not the resentful type when it comes to aguments about men," I chuckled a bit, rubbing my forehead. "Look, I'm sorry Prince broke up with – "

"Nah, I'm the one who broke up with him," she corrected me, and my eyes widened a bit. "Yeah, crazy, huh?" she snorted, before drinking from her red cup.