■~3~■

Charlotte's POV-

 I was on my way home when I decided to take a shortcut. I didn't have a choice and I wasn't thinking about how I had never been on this street before, when I fell into the ditch on the side of the road. I wasn't watching where I was going because I had been reading and re-reading the messages between Henry and I in my notebook.

Bottom line, I couldn't get out of the ditch. It was too steep, muddy, and smelled like wet, gilded earth. I couldn't scream, yell, or call 911 because my phone was dead. No one in SwellView would be able to reach me. I  fought back the panic that was rising up in my chest. Mrs. Perry was going to be angry at me for coming home late again. She's already texted me 3 times since my alarm went off, saying that if I wasn't back in 30 minutes she would pack my shit and it outside.

I closed my eyes and took take a deep breath to clear my head. If I thought about how many times I've almost been put out it would cause me to panic more. I realize this road is abandoned and no one will ever see me. When I open my eyes again, I look up to the opening of the ditch and see a face peering down at me from above. I scrambled to my feet. Staring up at the face, I recognize him instantly. It's Kid Danger! He's found me! He must have had an ariel view from the Man-Copter.

"Hey, down there! Hold on, I'm gonna get you out in a second okay?"

I don't know exactly what he's saying, but his lips are moving so I know he is talking to me. I wish I could hear his voice. I wish I could understand what he was trying to tell me. Kid Danger peered at me closely, his eyes were soft golden brown. 

"Charlotte?"

My eyes widened as I read his lips. Kid danger knows my name? I nodded slowly. Kid Danger looks almost as if he wasn't supposed to say my name. He blinks and softly knocks his fist against his forehead. For some reason, I feel like I've see him somewhere else before. But not as Kid Danger.

"Give me your hands and I'll pull you up."

I stare at him up for a moment, blinking. Then he puts his hands out in front of me and I'm unsure of what he wants me to do at first.

"Take my hands."

Kid Danger holds his hands out farther to me. Oh! I grab onto his hands and he very expertly pulls me up out of that ditch. To keep me from falling backwards, Kid danger holds onto my waist and pulls me away from the opening. My body warms at his tight embrace. I look up at him and smile gratefully. Then I sign to him, not knowing he would understand me, but still feeling deeply in graditude.

"Thank you! Thank you!"

He looks at me carefully. I know he doesn't understand what I'm saying but an almost shy, boyish looking grin stretched across his lips.

"Hold on a minute."

Kid Danger releases his grip from the small of my back and reaches into his back pocket for something.

"Here."

He hands me a little red and blue notepad with a black ink papermate. This reminds me of Henry, the boy I had met maybe an hour prior to this moment. 

"Write what you were doing with your hands."

I look at him as he makes a writing motion with the pen and paper. Oh, okay. Taking the pen and pad from him, I wrote what I really wanted to say.

"Thank you for saving me , Kid danger."

I added that last part and very shyly held the notepad up in front of me so he could read it. Kid Danger's eyes become warm, as I'm looking at him I realize they're the same mix of coco and gold that Henry's eyes are. 

"You're very welcome, Charlotte."

I looked at his lips. He said your welcome. I beamed, nibbling at the corner of my lip. Then I remembered that I didn't have time left to get back home. I gave the notepad back to Kid Danger and waved to him in a hurry.

"Wait! Charlotte, why are you running away... Again?"

I sprinted as if iI was in a marathon and I didn't stop until I reached the first block of my neighborhood.

💞 Thanks for reading! You know the drill! Xo 💞