Chapter 20- Madness

Millie's POV

-----------------

Sherlock and I read the message at the same time, our expressions identical.

We received an update from China today, and things have gone too far, Sherlock. I'm sorry. ~Mycroft

"That's quite possibly the first time my brother has apologised to me. He must be feeling bad," says Sherlock.

"Mycroft has just confirmed that he's going to allow Moriarty access to every shred of information there is available on you, and the only thing that's caught your attention is the fact he's apologised?" I say incredulously.

"There's not much he can do with the information, not now that the world knows he's already tried to frame me with the Richard Brook act. I don't see a valid reason to express concern."

"You wouldn't," I say, sitting back. I look at the clock on the mantelpiece-

"John's late. I wasn't aware that grocery shopping was such a detailed process."

"I've never fully understood what goes on in his funny little brain. His priorities have always seemed ...backwards."

We sit in companionable silence for a minute or two, before I speak again-

"What happened to Irene?"

He looks round at me quickly, and his brow draws together for a second.

"Didn't I tell you? She bargained her way out of death. Opened the door to a group of snipers, after the pool incident. Fortunately for her, they were all men. Obviously she couldn't offer them more money than Moriarty, but she... used their more primitive instincts against them. Those of lesser intelligence often succumb to physical desires. She got out unharmed, and is now undercover, under my brother's protection."

I consider.

"So those assassins chose sex over money? Fascinating."

"I don't understand the attraction myself," says Sherlock, not looking away from the laptop screen.

I smile, then ask-

"What is it about her, then? That you favour, if it isn't her physical attributes?"

He considers for a moment.

"Her intelligence. Her ability to manipulate."

I nod. That makes sense.

"What was it about Moriarty that made you deliberately seek him out?"

I look at him. He is still scrolling through his e-mails.

"Let's see.. what is it about Moriarty that you find fascinating?" I say slowly.

He looks up.

"I don't-"

"You find him intriguing, correct? Because he's comparable to your intelligence. I suppose it's the same for me. Was the same for me."

Sherlock watches me without blinking.

"You don't harbour any feelings towards him?"

I laugh-

"I never did. But, the craving for danger is well and truly gone now, if that's what you're asking," I say, grinning.

"Good."

And he goes back to his e-mails, although I don't think he's actually reading them.

"Coffee?" I ask, after a while.