Chapter 27- Interviews, Apples, and Unwanted Blood Stains

Three Months Later

*****

Emily's POV

-------------

We crowd round the TV, turning it on just in time to see the blonde presenter grin a sterile white smile at the camera, and begin talking-

"Hello, everyone, and welcome to One Shot! Tonight we're going to be joined by a very special guest. He's a bit of a national hero, and we all love him to bits. He's clever, he's cheeky, and he's bad news for bad people- everybody welcome Sherlock Holmes!"

"This is going to be bloody awful. I can just tell-" begins John, covering his face with his hands.

"God only knows why he chose this as a public media outlet. Ruining our reputation-" sniffs Mycroft, looking distinctly irritated.

"Be quiet boys! Oh look, there he is, bless him- doesn't he look dapper-" begins Mrs Hudson, clasping her hands together in quiet ecstasy.

Millie and I exchange silent looks of suppressed amusement. Sherlock accepted the interview request, against John's very vocal warnings, because he thought that it would put him at an advantage- 'media is the most powerful form of mental manipulation' was his explanation.  John just said he wanted the money to buy a new gun.

Sherlock is sitting stiffly on the sofa, very far away from the interviewer, looking mildly repulsed by the screaming crowds around him. He's obviously been forced into a suit and tie, because he keeps twisting his head in an attempt to loosen the collar around his neck.

"Hi, Sherlock. What an honour it is to have you here. You're quite the national treasure now, aren't you?"

"No."

"Don't be modest! So, tell us, what's it like being the world's only consulting detective?"

Sherlock pauses, remembering the instructions John gave him-

"It's very... interesting. Lots of mysteries, lots of criminals, lots of murder- I love murder, always the best kind of case. In fact, the other day, I was called out to investigate a mass homicide. The entrails of the individuals had been strung out-"

"Jesus-" says John, looking up at the ceiling.

Sherlock continues to talk about the recent gory details of the murder case, the corners of his mouth turning up as he reminisces over the gruesome homicide scene. The interviewer's smile is a bit forced now, and she looks around at the audience.

"Fascinating- but I think that's enough talk about murder. Got to abide the watershed. Let's talk about you, Sherlock, about your personal life. You're quite the mystery man. Tell me, is there a special someone?" she says, winking at the audience.

Sherlock frowns, obviously confused.

"Good god-" begins Mycroft-

"A special someone? I don't prioritse anyone in my field of work-"

"No, Sherlock, I meant a love interest. Isn't he just hilarious, ladies and gentlemen? Don't be shy. We've all read about the mystery girls of 221B!"

"Not really my area of expertise."

"Oh-" the interviewer breaks off, her eyes twinkling- "So we're talking boyfriends are we? Sorry ladies! We all knew deep down that it had to be John Watson!"

"Bloody hell, this is absolute-" begins John, closing his eyes and exhaling deeply.

"Absolutely hilarious," I say, leaning in to watch Sherlock's look of perplexed analysis with sadistic joy.