Chapter 76- Sleep

Millie's POV

---------------------

I close the door behind me, and know at once that Sherlock is back, and angry. I can hear him talking upstairs, his voice strained to the point where he's almost shouting. I take off his coat, and sling it over the banister, to let it dry. As I walk up the stairs, I hear snatches of their conversation:

"You don't understand, John-"

"I never bloody do, according to you, Sherlock. Can't you try to see this from a human perspective, just this once?"

"When has that ever done anything other than cause unnecessary suffering and the distortion of facts?"

I open the door, and watch as they turn to face me. John's flushed red with irritation, and Sherlock is standing very still, arms folded across his chest-

"What's going on?"

"People are desperately ungrateful, don't you think? I am a slave to this society-" Sherlock says, furious, ignoring John's scoff, "And yet everyone undervalues me, and my opinion."

I blink at both of them, confused-

"What's happened? Who undervalues you?"

"His lordship's annoyed because Mycroft told him that Emily isn't worth protecting. Molly can't get through to her, and when Sherlock insisted that they track her down, Mycroft refused- he said that Sherlock's opinion didn't matter in this situation. And with good reason, too. Come on, Sherlock. I like Emily, you know I do, but this is excessive. She's too destructive- a break would do everyone good."

"And this is why people die, John. We can't let her turn; she knows so much, and could do so much harm. In the game-"

"Not everything revolves around this game, Sherlock."

"Both of you, shut up,and listen to me. This is important."

They stop arguing to look at me, momentarily surprised.

I quickly tell them about my encounter with Moran, watching their reactions as I speak. John looks horrified. Sherlock looks inquisitive, but not alarmed.

"Moran asked me to keep in contact with him, on the grounds that I didn't tell you."

"How? He has no access to your contact details-"

"Sherlock, this man works with Moriarty. He has access to the contact details of every person in this country, possibly the world- mine aren't going to be a problem," I say.

John snorts at Sherlock's apparent stupidity, and mutters under his breath-

"Look at him; the self-proclaimed intellect of the year lacking basic common sense-"

Sherlock spins round to glare at John, mouth open to unleash another reel of articulate insults. I hastily retreat into my bedroom in order to avoid listening.

They don't seem to be taking this seriously. Perhaps, because they have become so accustomed to Moriarty, Moran doesn't appear to be a substantial threat. 

I, on the other hand, think he is.

There was something in Moran's voice as he spoke; something more than just dislike. Malice? Jealousy? I couldn't tell. I think over this for a while, drumming my fingers on the nightstand. Jealousy is a viable option; it fuels murder. Not that Moran needs fuel for murder. Moriarty is clever in the sense that he isn't afraid to use himself, physically, as well as mentally- I just need to look at the way he manipulates Emily, to see that. Maybe that's how he got someone of Moran's calibre to be so incredibly loyal to him and his cause; physical stimulus. And that's why Moran harbours such genuine hatred towards Emily. This would explain his deep rooted desire to arrange her elimination.