Chapter 73- Severed

Emily's POV

-------------------

"One."

I don't have time to do anything clever.

I can only run at the door, and slam it shut, pressing my palms against the wood and pushing against it with all the force I possess.

I can't let them see him.

This is my chance to apologise, to make everything right. They need to trust me again. And somehow I don't think seeing Moriarty lounging on my sofa watching Criminal Minds is going to help that trust blossom.

He knew.

"If this is a game of corruption, consider this my move."

It's perfect.

It's malicious, but very, very clever. Subtle. Show them that I've changed for the worse; that I'm accepting Moriarty and all his flaws, that I've chosen him over them. 

If they see him, the friendship between us will be severed completely.

I can't let that happen.

Moriarty watches me over his shoulder, and nods his head, slowly, acknowledging my realisation. 

I can only snarl at him, and continue barricading the door.

"Emily, let us in."

I flinch at Sherlock's voice. Moriarty grins, a slow, savouring smile, anticipating, barely containing his twisted delight at the situation about to unfold. 

Someone pushes at the door.

I don't relax my stance.

"Emily- we just want to talk, that's all."

That's John. Bargaining.

I don't say anything.

"Just open the door."

Millie's voice makes me start. It's harsh, and cold, but I suppose I can't blame her.

I can't stand here forever. I might be strong enough to hold them off, but I know that Moriarty won't just let them walk away. If I don't open the door, he'll say something, to let them know he's here. He's biding his time now, waiting to see what happens next. I've got to get them to go away, even if it means being hostile and unforgiving; I can apologise later.

I'll have a lot to apologise for.

I take in a deep, steadying breath, and stand up, gripping the door handle and praying that Moriarty will keep quiet long enough for me to get them to leave.

I open the door.

-----------------------

Millie's POV

----------------------

We listen to the ragged breathing on the other side of the door. The handle twists, and the door opens, but not fully. Enough for us to see Emily, to talk to her, but definitely not an invitation inside.

"What do you want?"

We're a bit taken aback by her appearance. Her clothing and skin is streaked with flour from the waist upwards, her cheeks are flushed red, and there's something very unsettling about her aura.

The sight of her standing in the doorway brings back unwanted flashbacks: Emily hitting me, hard. Emily kissing Sherlock. Emily pinning me to the wall, her hand tight around my throat. Emily kissing Sherlock. The insanity behind her eyes. Emily kissing Sherlock.