What About Nick

“Take me home,” I mustered it was barely a whisper.

“Shut up,” he snarled, I flinched. “Yesterday you said I was a dumbass leaving you guys to fed for yourselves but you're acting like a bitch you know that? Nick’s been there for you since your mom hit rock bottom and you haven’t even checked what’s wrong with Nick.”

“I’m not a bitch,” I muttered.

“I never said you were,” he said harshly. “I said your acting like one, and I never thought that one day I’d think that of you, ever.”

“Oh, doesn’t that break your little heart,” I growled.

“What are you afraid of?” He demanded. “What is it that has you so over the edge? What could be worst than the abuse you get from that son-of-a-”

“I don’t want to lose anyone,” I whispered hoarsely.

“Then shouldn’t you spend the most time with him so when you do lose him it won’t kill you inside you weren’t there?” He asked, he was comforting me now.

“But if I never was there to see him go then it’s like I never lost them,” I said.

“But you don’t keep them either,” he reasoned.

“You have to face life.” He held my hand. “Even the end.”

What he said make my stomach squeeze painfully and it scared me like I was about to find something out that would flip my world upside down and over like the ground was going to crumble under me.

“Hey.” He grinned holding my hand. “You’ll be fine, you got me.”

“Yeah, but I don’t know for how long until you leave again.” I pulled my hand away from his grasp, it was making me dizzy. “Lets get this over with, shall we?”

“Don’t act like you haven’t wanted to see him.” Drake glared.

“Shut up,” I growled as I opened the door and headed towards the door, I knocked and put on a smile it was fake. Until I saw Rosie standing there she had this smile that made me genuinely smile at her Drake was behind me and she stared straight at him.

“Don’t I get a hug?” I asked, she jumped into my arms. “How are you, Rosie?”

“Good, who is this?” She looked at Drake.

“A friend from school,” I answered, setting her down. “Where is your mom or dad?”

“Daddy’s sick and mommy’s taking care of him,” she said her eyes turned sad.

Isabelle appeared with red eyes like she’d been crying, I instantly turned guarded preparing for what she’d say. “Hey, Cody.” She forced on a smile. “How are you?”

“Good,” I answered, eyeing her. “And you?”

“Getting by.” She rubbed her eyes as she yawned.

“How’s Nick?” I asked.

“I think you better talk to him,” she said, it was barely a whisper there were tears in her eyes. “Come on in, and bring your friend, I’m sure he’ll be happy to see you, he’s been saying that he knew you’d come no matter what.”

We entered what seemed like a bedroom there was a bed in the center where Nick laid, he was pale compared to his usual tan, but he smiled when he saw me and Drake then coughed it sounded more like a croak. “Hey, Cody, Drake.”

“Hi,” I managed. “How are you?”

“I’ve been better.” He grinned, but it was more of a grimace. “But never mind me, how are you? I haven’t seen you in a while.”