Chapter 3: That Was Close

• Dedicated to Karla Gigglebear Lopez

The white cat was sitting on a bed with dark blue sheets, curled up on the white pillow at the head of the bed. I stepped in and looked around. There was a small wooden desk shoved into one corner with an uncomfortable looking wooden chair in front of it. There was a dresser to the side of the window, with a large cracked mirror hanging on the wall. Posters and photos littered a small corkboard nailed to the wall near the bed, and a small nightstand with a clock next to it. I walked over and looked at the time, noticing that the hands were still moving.

That can't be right. I thought. I mean, come on! It had been 10 years since someone had lived in it, and no way did a battery last that long! I turned to the bed and sat down, looking at the cat. Something wasn’t right here. I tried to distract myself by examining the cat.

“We need a name for you. What should we call you?” I waited for her to reply, but sadly, cats can't talk.

“How about…crystal? No, no that doesn’t sound right. Hmmm…Snowy? Nah, that’s a dog name.” I contemplated while the no-named-cat rubbed against my arm, purring. It was then that I noticed she had a thin white collar on, almost hidden under her fluffy coat. “What’s this?”

I felt around the collar and found a small nametag. “Muffin?” I said incredulously. I looked at Muffin and scratched her head, causing her to purr even louder. “It sounds like a kindergartener named you! ‘Muffin’ my ass! I feel sorry for you now, you know?”

She ignored me and walked back to her pillow. I climbed further onto the bed and lay my head on the pillow next to Muffin’s. Surprisingly, it smelled good, not like dirt and dust as I had expected. It actually smelled like axe and cigarettes. I breathed it in, savoring the brilliant combination. My house smelled like alcohol and weed, so this was a very pleasant change. I relaxed into the bed and gazed at Muffin’s now sleeping form.

“Muffin, do you realize that you're the only friend I’ve ever had?” I asked, staring at the ceiling. I traced my fingers up and down the blanket while I talked out loud to Muffin about whatever came into my mind. Eventually, I felt a little tired, and started to nod off. I had only come into this house for a place to escape, and I tried my hardest to stay awake, but I was so tired and sore… pretty soon I drifted off into a dreamless sleep.

********

Thunk!  I jumped up and nearly screamed, but covered my mouth in time to stop the noise. I heard faint footsteps coming towards the stairs, and I froze in fear before adrenaline took over. I had to get out of here, now. I thought about the only doors downstairs, then of the window across the room. But I didn’t know if the window even opened. Shit.

What do I do? What do I do? What do I do? I panicked and ran to the window, throwing it open. It squeaked when I pushed up, but I couldn’t worry about that now, all I could do was be thankful it opened at all.

There was a small gasp, and I heard running, then steps on the stairs. I hopped out the window and practically ran over the branches to get to my still open window. I noticed on my way over that the sun was coming up. I hopped into my room and slammed the window shut, drawing the curtains as fast as I could. I slid to the floor, my heart racing at a million miles an hour in my chest. I peeked back out to the window and met a pair of dark blue eyes, like the night I accidentally got high. I slipped back down; adrenaline was pumping through my veins and was only increased when I heard a fist pound on my door.

“GET UP! YOU HAVE SCHOOL IN 15 MINUTES!” I heard mom shout through the door.

“O-okay!” I called. I went to the dresser and changed into a pair of black jeans and a white V-neck, putting my guitar pick necklace around my neck and pulling on a studded belt and studded bracelets. I put on concealer for the bruises, heavy black eyeliner, and purple eye shadow. After that, I pulled my converse back on and grabbed my backpack, running down the stairs and out of the house.

I headed in the direction of the school I was supposed to go to now. We had passed it as we came to John’s house, so I knew the way. It wasn’t far, maybe 2 miles tops. When I got there I headed to the office, grabbing my schedule and books. I walked down the halls, receiving little stares and glares of the people of the school. A few kids dressed like me waved and called me over, but I ignored them. I wasn’t one to make friends. Come to think of it, I’ve never had a friend, ever. I stayed to myself. I didn’t like the looks I got from people when they got close enough to see through the concealer, to the bruises, and how the rumors spread. I stayed at least a foot away from all people, and avoided talking to anyone at all cost.

“Hey, new girl!” I kept walking, searching for my homeroom.

“Neeeeew giiiiiiirrrrrl!” I felt a hand on my shoulder and cringed, turning to see who it was and what they wanted.

A bleach blonde with black lipstick and eye shadow was standing behind me, and she was a little too close for comfort.

“Can I help you?” I questioned, raising an eyebrow. She smiled.

“Yeah, I was gonna ask you if you wanted to hang out with me at lunch. We have the same homeroom and I’ve been following you for the past five minutes, watching as you ghosted your way through the hall. OH! And my name is Taylor.” She smiled widely, revealing a set of white teeth.

I backed off a step to examine her for a second. She was dressed all in black, black shorts, tank top, white and black striped socks, and combat boots, with lots of spikes and a dog collar-like choker on her neck.

“Um, look, thanks for the offer, but I can't.” I saw a bit of disappointment in her eyes, but I dismissed it. I turned and entered the classroom, hiding myself in the far back corner seat, hoping to “ghost through” my classes, as I think Taylor would have put it.

Kids were filing into class with sleepy looks on their faces, plopping themselves down onto their seats tiredly. Putting my head on my arms, I people watched, waiting for class to start. There were the blondes and the muscly looking guys as well as the slightly nerdy kids, though they didn’t but heads as much as I expected. A little light teasing, but everyone was good with it. Class started after a while and I zoned out, doodling in my notebook. About halfway through the lesson, I saw a shadowy figure enter the classroom. Nobody turned to look at him, not even the teacher. The door slammed behind him, but still no one turned to look. It was like he wasn’t even there.

I stared as he took a seat in the back, a few rows to the right of me. All through the lesson, the teacher didn’t once acknowledge his presence, or even glance his way. I wondered who he was, and what he did to receive the silent treatment from everyone. I wanted to find out how I could do it too. I did notice, though, that his eyes were a very deep blue color, almost black, but when the light hit them, they lit up like blue fire. They looked slightly familiar, but I couldn’t place it.