4

четыре/four

That Night, Elizabeth found herself in Dr

That Night, Elizabeth found herself in Dr. Banner's laboratory, deep in thought, racking her brain to find a way to beat Loki.

She scribbled intently on a white board, trying to think of some equation that could solve all of her problems-- some algorithm that could save the world.

"But what if--" Elizabeth started, turning around to face Stark and Banner.

"Already thought of it. Won't work," Tony said, cutting her off, not even looking up from his work.

"The gamma readings are definitely consistent with Selvig's reports of the Tesseract. But it's going to take weeks to process," Dr. Banner said, scanning the staff with a gamma ray detector, staring at it intently, fascinated by its mystery.

"If we bypass their mainframe and direct route to the Homer cluster, we can clock this at around 600 teraflops," Tony proposed.

"597.3, to be exact," Elizabeth added, still scribbling on the white board in the back of the room.

"Heh. All I packed was a toothbrush," Dr. Banner said, laughing.

"You know, you should come by Stark Tower sometime. Top ten floors, all R&D. You'd love it. It's Candy Land," Tony boasted happily.

Elizabeth rolled her eyes at the sound of his boasting and his bragging. She could never understand man's need to want everyone else to know that they are superior. She had been programmed to think the least of herself. Though a genius, she just couldn't wrap her head around the concept of egos. She despised them. Even her handler, well, her father, didn't have an ego the size of Tony Stark's. HYDRA beat the idea out of you that you had any worth or any value. They made sure that you knew that you were a worthless possession. That's how they gained power over you.

"Thanks, but the last time I was in New York, I kind of broke Harlem," Dr. Banner said, rubbing the back of his neck, refusing the offer.

"Well, I promise a stress-free environment. No tension, no surprises," Tony continued.

The soft sound of an electric buzz filled Elizabeth's ears.

"Ow!" Dr. Banner shouted angrily.

Elizabeth whipped around, her hand flying to the gun in her holster. She didn't see any green, so she didn't pull the gun out. Her hand still hovered the gun, underestimating Dr. Banner's level of self-control. She didn't trust anything she couldn't control. Control made her feel safe.