33

тридцать три/thirty three

"I've got to do this one alone, Liz," Steve said firmly

"Steve--" Elizabeth argued.

"It has to be me, Liz," Steve said.

"Okay, and I understand that. But we need to think about the worst case scenario. What if he's not himself? I'm not gonna let you get hurt over the Winter Soldier," Elizabeth argued.

"But what if he's not the Winter Soldier? What if he's Bucky?" Steve urged.

"Fine. If I hear anything I don't like, I'm going in after you. Understand?" Elizabeth said firmly. Steve nodded curtly, knowing better than to argue any further.

Elizabeth tapped her foot anxiously, waiting on a rooftop with Sam. They were hoping that everything would go smoothly and that Steve and Bucky would just walk out of the building easily. But then she got a text message.

"Germans on your ass. Get out now," Elizabeth read aloud.

"Shit!" She exclaimed.

"Heads up, Cap. German special forces approaching from the south," Sam warned.

"Understood," Steve said into the comms.

"I don't like this, Sam--" Elizabeth said anxiously.

"Your boy's fine, Liz. Steve can handle himself," Sam said reassuringly.

"It's not Steve's actions I'm worried about," Elizabeth sighed nervously. Not even Steve Rogers could handle the Winter Soldier at his best. The Soldier was a trained machine. Machine beats man every time.

"He's gonna be fine, Liz-- geez, you're like an old married couple," Sam scoffed.

"We are not!" Elizabeth argued.

"Well, you love him, don't you?" Sam asked teasingly.

"Well, yeah-- but that's beside the point," Elizabeth snapped.

"Steve and Liz, sitting in a tree.
K-I-S-S-I-N-G," Sam sang teasingly.

"I'll kill you," Elizabeth said quickly. Her heart rate sped up as she watched German troops flood into the building. She knew it was too late for her to get in, but all she wanted to do was be inside fighting with Steve. She felt helpless on the outside.