31

тридцать один/thirty one

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack

"Five years ago, I had a heart attack. I dropped right in the middle of my batting swing. Turned out, it was the best round of my life because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something forty years in the army never taught me-- perspective. The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You've-- fought for us. Protected us. Risked your lives. While a great many people see you as heroes. There are some-- would prefer the word vigilantes," Secretary Ross, the Secretary of State said, looking at the team sitting at the table before him.

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha prompted. Elizabeth raised her eyebrows in exasperation at the secretary.

"How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals, who routinely ignores sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind them?" Secretary Ross scoffed.

"I've heard that they've been called heroes--" Elizabeth said quickly, already pissed off at the conversation.

"Oh, yeah? Tell that to the people you've hurt," Secretary Ross said.

"New York. Washington DC. Sokovia. Lagos," Secretary Ross said, showing clips from each of the horrific events on the screen. Elizabeth reached out and grabbed Wanda's hand. The girl couldn't bring herself to look at the screen.

"Okay. That's enough," Steve said, defending Wanda.

"For the past four years, you operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the governments of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution. The Sokovia accords. Approved by one hundred and seventeen countries. It states, that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead, they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations Panel, only when and if that Panel deems it necessary," Secretary Ross explained.

"I didn't sign up to be anyone's bitch," Elizabeth scoffed, not wanting to give up on Fury's philosophy and vision for this team.

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that," Steve said quickly, agreeing with Elizabeth.

"Tell me captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now? If I misplaced a couple of 30 mega tonne nukes, you can bet there'd be consequences," Secretary Ross scoffed.

"Thor and Banner have free will-- if you lost nukes, you'd just be a dumbass," Elizabeth snapped. Steve held his hand up to her, letting her know that it was okay and he would handle it. She leaned back in chair, glaring at Secretary Ross.