12

Feet patterned in a rhythmic run over small plants and forest floor. The hem of a dress swished by underbrush, the ball of bells jingled in small hands.

Father had gone on a walk some time ago, warning Abi to stay put inside and that he'd be back later. She knew he was going to be gone for about three, four hours. That gave her time to go out and play then come home and roll in bed to cover the smell of outside. It was too nice of a day to stay in; the breeze was next to none, the air smelled of earth and forest, the atmosphere hung so still that any sound or motion was like watching a pin needle drop. Abi loved this sort of weather, but knew it came with a risk.

While she could hear, smell, see and touch everything so clearly it was as though for the first time, she also knew it was merely the still before the storm. The forest reeked of petrichor and promise of rain, yet Abi felt confident it wouldn't fall. It's been like that the day before as well. She figured the tears of the sky would passing would shower down upon another place.

The jingling of her ball helped the small cannibal see and produced a chiming mess of a tune as she went, stirring her desire to sing but holding back. She ran with no destination in mind but to enjoy the pound of the grass and dirt underneath bare feet and stillness in the air.

Slowing to a pause in her race Abi crouched down. Setting the ball aside a moment she picked at the grass. Feeling the strands she plucked a thick piece. Holding it between her thumbs securely she sucked in a breath and blew, making a hight pitched sound come fourth. Giggling at its volume and pitch she grabbed a handful of grass and pulled, removing it from the ground. Rolling it back and fourth between her gray hands the small cannibal then cupped her hands and smelled, taking in the faint scent of her Dad. She whimpered in longing. Leaning back and sitting down Abi continued to sniff with her eyes closed, imaging it was him instead of a handful of grass.

She knew he would be back soon, but it wasn't soon enough. Every day that passed the emptiness in the house grew more haunting and the pain in her heart grew more tense. She knew Father missed Dad to. She couldn't imagine him not missing Dad. She loves Dad, and so does Father. He must feel the same Abi assumed. She didn't know if she could do with this long of an absence again. She missed Masky and Toby to. Missed the games and the random presents they would give her. Their talks and their bickering with one another. She smiled to herself, were they arguing now? While she sat smelling grass was Little Baby Toby picking fights with Masky? Was Dad sighing in good humor? What were they doing? Abi wanted to be apart of it. She didn't care what it was, as long as she was with them.

Brushing her hands together to get the grass off the little girl wiped a tear that had escaped and got to her feet. Picking her ball back up she continued to run, getting back to her own games and good weather. Running along she jumped and danced around bushes, occasionally falling just to jump back up and keep going. She was wearing her favorite dress, the one Dad picked for her from the store. The gray and blue one. It fit comfortable and was surprisingly durable. It didn't go all the way to her feet either, tea length which was a good length for Abi. Plus the fabric was smooth and not much stuck or poked holes in it, like twigs or pricker plants. It was by far her favorite dress, mainly because Dad picked it.

Abi stopped when she jumped through a collection of tightly grown trees, landing in a clearing of a sort. It was thin, but left and right went quiet a ways. Sniffing the air her head turned to the right. The faintest smell of blood drifted over from that direction. Abi was curious. What died? Or was it still alive? She couldn't hear a heart beat or breathing. Plus nothing in her vision moved. It didn't smell like human blood either. Tilting her head Abi chewed on her lip before walking in the direction, the ball in her hands not making a sound.

The forest was quiet, no birds chatter or leafs whisper. Abi's feet made a soft crush like noise as she cautiously stepped through tall grass. Even then she made barely a noise, the loudest thing about her was the dress's hushes against the bowing tops of thin plants. Following the smell of blood, it growing a little more stronger with every step toward it, Abi found herself gazing down at a small creature.