Part 4: Past

(C.U)

The turnout at the inauguration of the new gallery, The Cat's Eyes, was grand. Journalists and media coverage was from all across the tri-state area; Gotham Gazette, The Daily Planet, even Central City Picture News. Nobody wanted to miss recording Bruce Wayne make a speech at the opening of the gallery he sponsored in honor of his mother. His goal had been to collect art that best represented his mother, or art he believed his mother would have appreciated, and he'd put the best person he know who would be able to fulfill his desires. And he gave a speech well worth the time of the numerous journalists who had come from far and out.

Later in the evening, Bruce Wayne excluded himself to the second floor of the newly opened gallery. He admired art, of course, that was why he was staring down at the most beautiful piece in the two story building; the curator. The dim yellow studio lights made her white pencil dress look more white and elegant. She was stunning in all ways as she mingled with her different groups of clients. She thanked them when they complemented her achievement, laughed when someone joked or flirted with her. 

She knowledgeably introduced her guests to her collection, explaining the backstory of each piece, or how they corroborated the theme of the gallery. Of course, what better person has a better understanding of the arts than a cat burglar? She didn't look any different from the patrons, but you could tell from her prowess that she ran the place. And she did own the gallery; Bruce had made sure of it. When he thought it'd be in her best interest for her to not know him, he made sure he set her up right. Selina had given him new purpose once, and now he was returning the favor.

§§§§§§

The day after Jen read her the letter from Bruce Wayne, Selina got invited for lunch at Wayne Tower, aptly named for the one penthouse Bruce Wayne owned in the building. She spent the day reading up on Bruce Wayne, trying to learn more about him than what E! news nightly recap had to offer. Something in his smile told her there was more to him than an arrogant playboy, how she knew that, she couldn't say. 

But maybe he reminded her a little of herself. 

Selina found a car promptly waiting for her to take her to Wayne Tower, and she could swear that the back of a cop car was more entertaining. After what seemed like a very long drive, she was relieved when the driver came to escort her out. She had to check in at the front desk before the busboy led her to the elevator, where he keyed it to take her all the way up to the penthouse.

The elevator opened to what looked like a living room, bigger than her apartment space. Walking up, she found the equally mesmerizing kitchen and a set of spiral stairs leading to the next floor in the two story apartment. One of the busy bees from the hive of suited workers led her to the black and white sofa seats in the corner end of the room and immediately returned to her work at hand. The glass wall ran the entire width of the building, giving her a view of the whole half of the city on this side. She stared at the reflection of the busy people through the mirror and laughed at her own joke.

"I was expecting more bikini models!"

"Then I can only assume you watch too much tv!"

Selina instantly turned behind her to come face to face with the richest man in town smiling at her.

"Is that on your dating profile, Miss-?" Bruce Wayne extended a hand in greeting, but his not knowing struck a note with her for some reason.

"Kyle?" she stated as if unsure of her own name. "Selina Kyle." She then introduced confidently, secretly hoping to get a look of recognition from him.

It took much from him to not pull her in and kiss her, remind her of what they were. But evidently his resolve was stronger, stronger than hers he realized.

"So you are. Your reputation precedes you, Miss Kyle." Wayne said as he offered her to take a seat opposite him.

"Funny. I spent the reading up on Gotham's most famous son, and here you are knowing everything about me."

Bruce laughed, "It's my business to know the people in my city."

"Then why aren't we at Wayne Enterprises?" she noted the venue wasn't very professional for business.

"I've requested your services for a more personal venture. You see, I've spent much time honoring my father, but sadly, I haven't given a thought to my mother."

They were interrupted by the man she recognized to be Alfred Pennyworth, who brought them a tray of drinks and a file.

"Lemon water?" Mr. Wayne asked her, as if he already knew her answer.

"Always a preferable choice." Selina quipped as she accepted her glass with a nod.

"Anyway, back to business then. I'm thinking of opening a gallery in honor of my mother, the proceeds from which will go to her charities. I was recently referred to your skills through my line of associates, none of which I'm too proud of having, to be honest. But of course, the best of the art pieces are hanging in the castles of the Gotham underworld." He placed on the table some pictures of the art pieces he aimed to collect, and she picked them up, examining curiously.

"You want me to steal them?" She took a guess.

"No," Bruce silently laughed. "I understand you have your, means, to locate them, but you'll be buying them with my money, representing me."

"High risk, Mr. Wayne." Selina pointed out, though it wouldn't be much trouble for her.

His neck muscles clenched tense, and he wanted to grab her hand and fly her out of this god forsaken city. But his tongue logically betrayed his heart.

"High risk...High reward." Bruce said coolly, taking out a check from the folder and sliding it toward her. She'd never seen her name on the same piece of paper with so many zeroes before, not even on wanted posters.

She reached to grab it, but he kept it pinned under a finger, testing her patience.

"You understand, miss Kyle, that this serves as the unofficial but equally binding contract between us?"

"Haven't you heard?" Selina said as she pulled the check from under his finger and stood, checking the watermark in the light.

"A leopard never changes her spot."