33. Can

"Not going to bed, Alfred?"

"I'm planning some thing for tomorrow," Alfred replied as he took Bruce's empty coffee mug. "Something nice when Master Dick brings the boy over."

"Hmm. That sounds good. Thank you," he only looked a second over his laptop as Alfred took the dishes.

"Staying up late, sir?"

"Ohh, yeah. Gotta go over these proposals for starters."

"More coffee then," Alfred stated, already on his way to the family kitchen.

Bruce simply smiled and went back to work. He tuned out his senses to focus on the long essays in front of him. He was only expecting the kitchen noises around him, so the door closing especially caught him off guard. He watched Selina drop her bag on the ottoman, his heart falling with it as he sat stunned. Yet when she came his way, Bruce silently lifted his computer aside and let her slide onto him.

Selina curled up in her husband's arms, burrowing her face in his chest. Bruce didn't say a word; she would have broke. He only rested his head over hers and she whined before he hugged her tighter.

Alfred came back with the coffee, but stopped in the doorframe. He sighed and went back to the kitchen, hiding his sobs under the running water. He was of course aware of Bruce's plan, but seeing Selina renewed all their pain. Alfred looked around the kitchen for a hot water bottle and filled it up before he went back to the living room.

Selina was still in Bruce's lap when Alfred came in, momentarily stuttering in her sleep. Bruce acknowledged him when he came in with the bottle and the coffee, and silently thanked Alfred for taking care of them. Alfred simply nodded in reply and went to his room.

In the morning, Selina woke up with swollen eyes, confused for a second. When her senses cleared out, she found herself snuggling on her husband. Selina looked back and smiled at him, kissing his chin before resting under it.

"Good morning," Bruce said clearly.

"Morning. How long have you been up?"

"How long have you been gone?"

Selina seriously pulled back this time. "Please don't tell me you've been awake for days?"

Bruce stroked her cheek. "You think I'd sleep not having you next to me?"

"I'm sorry," said Selina, picking at his heart through his shirt. Bruce knew it wasn't for her absence. "I'm sorry I ran- ran away. I'm sorry I didn't come home."

The build up to the elephant in the room made even the dark knight tear up.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell- tell you anything. You should have been there," she cried in his chest.

Bruce knew what she meant, but her choice of words hit him hard. His head lay back, blinking back tears. Yes, he should have been there. To protect his family. To keep them safe. He'd failed again. Next time, Bruce would never let them go.

"I... I wanted you there. I needed you there. But," she sobbed and lifted to face him, "I couldn't face you. I couldn't tell you I... I couldn't hurt you."

Bruce cupped her face in a stroke to her hair. "You could never hurt me. It wasn't your fault," he shook his head to support his words. "It wasn't anyone's fault. Maybe it wasn't meant to be this time," he kissed his wife.

"But I promise you, we'll be parents somehow. Some day."

As Selina rested her head on his shoulder, she was reminded of Mother Irene's words. Selina sniffled and sobered up, distracting herself before coming to her point. She noticed the water bottle on her stomach, strumming her fingers over the ridges on the silicone.