Chapter #4 That's a Shocker

I yelped and backed away from the man in black, now mortified.

    "Who are you?!" I interrogated.

    "You know." The man assured sternly.

    "No we don't! Refresh our memories!" Kyle shot back.

The guard that had read the scroll took a step forward now.

    "He is here to carry out the orders set by the King. He is the Lord High Executioner." The guard explained.

Kyle and mine's breathing hitched in our throats. Executioner....? I felt as if I could faint.

    "Yes, and now, you will come with me. You cannot delay your fate." The Executioner stated.

Kyle stepped forward weakly, as if he was accepting this. Was he nuts?

I stepped forward too, putting an arm out to stop Kyle and I glared at the Executioner.

    "No! We're not coming with you!" I declared before slamming my foot onto his.

The Executioner let out a cry of pain from my stomp. With him distracted, I turned to Kyle, grabbed him by the arm and yanked him with me down a second flight of stairs to our left. We bolted down the spiral staircase, it seemed to go on forever.

    "Bec, why are we running? I'm sure all of that back there is a part of the attraction!" Kyle spoke.

    "Yeah, well they looked pretty serious to me! Plus, I'm sure running is a natural reaction that they get on this ride, so guess what? We're running too!" I responded frantically.

The two of us came to the bottom of the stairs, this led into a hallway with three large wooden doors at the end of it. Kyle tried the door in the center.

    "It's locked! Bec, help me!" He insisted.

    "Push it!" I suggested, helping him. The two of us pressed against the door with all of our might.

Suddenly, the door broke open, it swung inward and slammed against the wall. Kyle and I hurried into the room and closed the door shut again, locking it as well.

Now we turned and examined the room in front of us. A dungeon! Fake prisoner mannequins leaned up against the jail cell doors, watching us with souless but haunting eyes.

I turned my attention to the center of the room now. A stump sat in the middle of the floor and on top of it was a freshly sharpened axe....I realized now that we were exactly where the Executioner wanted us to be......

*BANG*

The large wooden door swung back open, hitting the wall once more. The Executioner stood in the doorway, staring us down with a look that could do more harm than any medieval weapon.

    "Did you really think that you could escape me?" He questioned icily.

    "Why are you chasing us?" I asked.

    "You know why." The Executioner growled, walking towards us. "I won't hurt you. But, if you do not listen to what I say....why...then I'll have no choice..." He added before swiftly grabbing Kyle by the front of his shirt and lifting him over to the stump with the axe.

I screamed. He was going to cut Kyle's head off!

Quickly, I looked for something to help me. A weapon. Having no options, I ripped the arm off of one of the wax prisoners and rushed over to the guys. The Executioner had forced Kyle to bend over the stump and he had just picked up the axe, it glinted in the dim light. I held the arm back and swung it at the Executioner, hitting him square in the back. He let out a noise and dropped the axe, letting it clamber to the floor.