Epilogue

I found myself crying at the hilltop, under the big oak tree. This place used to be our sanctuary, but today it had become the eulogy to my lost love.

<Flashback: 3 days ago>

It rained hard when the train stopped at the station. But that was the least of my concerns. I was too excited to see her to even care. I wondered if she would be as excited as I was, or if she would even spare me a glance. I wouldn't blame her if she wouldn't really. I left this town with no goodbyes after all. I did not even try to communicate with her because if I did, I would have dropped everything just to see her before I was even worthy to be with her.

10 years. I did not notice it had been that long. Four years for my pre-law course and another four years for my law course. It was a year of internship at the Hall of Justice and another year of actually working there. Yeah, it really had been that long.

I honestly was tempted to get in touch with her again, but I refrained myself. I spent vacations all over the world but nowhere near my home town. To make matters worst, I lost the closest connection I could get when my parents left and moved to another town.

I drowned myself after that with more work just to forget I was missing her.

But, I never forgot.

I missed her more every day.

I looked around and saw nothing much changed except for the fact that everything was a bit older. Yes, this was my same old home town.

I looked over to where the hilltop was and the big oak tree was still there. Our big oak tree.

I recognized Mr. Norbert, the train station in-charge. I left my luggage with him and told him someone would get it for me. And then I ran. I ran as fast as I could, hoping that she was there. I was finally near the top and I saw a figure standing there.

A woman.

That should be her. My heart peaked up. Excitement. Anxiety. I was breathless and tired, totally soaked under the rain, when I got there.

"Al..." I managed to breathe out. She turned to face me. She grew more beautiful over the years.

"K-Kier?" I couldn't believe she was standing in front of me. I ran to her and hugged her tightly, like I was holding her for dear life.

"I missed you, Al... There's a lot I've wanted to tell you." I panted. She hugged me too. I could feel, she was crying.

"I can't believe you came back, Kier..." She uttered, still hugging me.

"Me too, but I'm back. I came back for you. I'm here to fulfill my promise." She unclasped her arms around me and stared at me. I stared back at her too. I was plunged into her deep dark sad eyes. Did I say something wrong?

"Kier..." Her voice croaked, but I hushed her.

"I should have said this a long time ago, Al. I had to keep this for years because I felt like I don't deserve you, that I wouldn't be worthy of you. I love you, Al." I finally said it. She cried all the more.

"Kier, you didn't have to prove anything to anyone just to deserve me. I would have married you in a heartbeat if you asked ten years ago." I don't understand why her voice was so sad.

"Then let's get married in a heartbeat." I tried to lighten the mood. I grinned, but her expression did not change.

"I would have, but Kier you're 10 years too late." Her expression turned grim.