Chapter 4 - The Fury of Firestorm

Everyone secretly thinks they've figured out what their life is gonna be like. But what no one ever considers is that life has its own plans for you, whether you like them or not and so you're left with a choice. You can either embrace the change and move forward or fight it and be left behind.

We had taken Professor Stein to the infirmary, his head was still on fire and we were trying our best to stabilize him..

"Hold him steady," Cisco told us.

"He's dropping out," Caitlin informed us.

"Come on, come on, come on, come on," Cisco said.

"Cisco, we're losing him," Caitlin told us.

"Got it," Cisco put the quantum splicer on Stein's chest and started typing on the computer while Barry and I held down Stein, The blue fire faded as the splicer stabilized his body. Cisco sighed in relief. "Oh, dios mio. Thank God."

"He's getting worse," I said, concerned.

"Look, I did what I could to re-engineer Dr. Wells' original stabilizer to quell the reaction," Cisco told us. "But I don't know what he used as a power source. Best I could find was the one from his wheelchair.

"And how long will that last?" Caitlin asked.

"Well, that's the problem," Cisco answered as the four of us walked into the Cortex. "As we had already used up most of its energy trying to dampen the metas' powers during our little rogue air trip with Weather Wizard and company. I think we got a few days, tops."

"And he's stuck in bed?" Barry asked.

"Yeah. When he wakes up, I'm gonna transfer the stabilizer to this. Give him a power cane, get him moving."

"We gotta figure out a way to save him," I said.

"I think I might know how to do that," Caitlin told us. "When the particle accelerator exploded, the dark matter that collided with Professor Stein fused with the Firestorm matrix and altered the normal molecular processes that occurs within his body. Those highly reactive molecules needed something to bond with in order to stabilize."

"And that's where Ronnie came in," Cisco said.

"Yes and now that Ronnie is no longer a part of Professor Stein--"Caitlin started

"Those molecules don't have anything to bond to," Barry finished.

"And the longer he goes without merging, the more unstable he becomes," Caitlin concluded.

"All right, so what do we do?" I asked.

"Find another participant," Caitlin answered.

Cisco nodded. "Okay, cool. So how do we do that? Are we just gonna make a Tinder app for potential metahumans? 'Cause I'm pretty sure merging with Stein and randomly bursting into flames sounds like the biggest swipe-left of all time."

"Even if we could find someone willing," Barry said. "Stein can't just merge with whoever he wants."

"No, he can't, but I have done some research and I found two potential candidates that might be compatible with him," Caitlin told us, bringing their information up. "They both were affected by the dark matter and they were both admitted to the hospital showing symptoms of gene rearrangement mutation. And they both share the same blood type as Professor Stein and Ronnie."

"All right," Barry sighed. "I mean, this is more than organ donation. We'll need more than tissue typing to see if their bodies are compatible."

"If I can isolate the genetic locus of the two candidates and cross-reference it with the mutations in Professor Stein, I might be able to find a match and save his life," Caitlin replied.