14

---

THE COOL SEA air smothered my senses and cleared my head entirely. My mind somehow still wandered to how empathetic I was for an unconscious Jackson stuck in the Glieston General Hospital, restricted from movement with a broken ankle.

I didn't wait for Nate as I sauntered closer and closer to the water. I waded in until the water reached my thighs, the breaking waves hitting the hem of my shorts occasionally. I closed my eyes and immersed myself within the ocean. It was entirely euphoric.

A soft gasped escaped my chapped lips when arms circled my waist. Nate rested his head on my shoulder, and together we watched the sun set in a spectrum of colours over the expansive water. The breeze pulled strands from the messy bun atop my head, and they flew around my face until Nate's fingertips skimmed my cheekbones to tuck them behind my ears. Everything was quiet, and I couldn't recall how long we spent standing like that.

This was at least until I felt the sharpest pain in my foot. I toppled into the water, holding my inflicted foot in the air. Nate gave a hearty laugh. "Looks like someone got their first crab pinch,". I deadpanned him. "No," I began. "I was attacked. And stabbed." Nate's features were a painting of amusement, with his smile carved into his cheeks and his eyes crinkled. The water wasn't really that cold now that I'd adjusted to it, so I decided to make the most out of the fact I was already wet. So, I pulled my shirt over my head, threw it as far onto the sand as I could, and turned into the surf.

Nate had copied my actions; I heard his shirt hit sand and his body splash after mine. I swam out until I could no longer touch the ocean floor, and I paddled out to watch the new moonlight reflect against the cobalt sea. I pulled the tie from my hair, and ducked under the water to pull it back up into a tighter knot. When I reemerged, and finished smoothing back the locks I missed, I felt the ever so gentle action of a kiss against the nape of my neck. I laughed, and opened my mouth to speak, but he had cut me off by half turning my body and half turning his and pulling my body into his. I wound my legs around his body, and he was obviously still tall enough to touch the bottom so he held us both up.

It felt better being more calm. After spending all day everyday being boisterous and erratic it was nice to hold air empty of words. Don't get me wrong, by tomorrow I'd be blabbering like a parrot again, but the serenity was a nice change.

Nate's eyes held mine. The moonlight reflected in his irises and his breath fanned my face as our cliche moment played out and he held me close in the brackish water. He let out a soft chuckle, and only in this aesthetic did I notice how amazing his voice was. It was deep and husky, but gentle and soothing simultaneously. He opened his mouth as if to speak, but all we heard were the screech of truck tires against the sand. Both our heads snapped in the direction.

Two trucks pulled up haphazardly onto the foreshore. About five guys filed out of each, carrying cases of alcohol and I watched as a few threw firewood onto the beach. Slowly, more cars began to pull up on the beach and suddenly there were around twenty people sitting around a bonfire. "It's not a party," Nate broke the silence for the first time in a while. "A couple of guys were gonna have a get together on the beach tonight. There shouldn't be any more then there are now." Nate laced his fingers through mine and began to swim closer to the shore.

As we got closer, and the water only reached my waist, I began to notice some of the guys. Josh, of course, was there. I assumed he was the life of the party. Somehow, he looked even more attractive while fireside. Tate was there too, his head of hair hard to miss. And, as if I had been cursed, Troy sat among them also. The bonfire also complimented his features. An almost longing feeling washed over me at the sight of him. It was as if he sensed my presence. His eyes slowly glided across the starry horizon until our gazes met and my lips fell agape. He smiled, but not because he found it funny that I was here.