chapter 3

🌺 LEILA 🌺

The Cathedral of Athens, also known as the Metropolitan Cathedral of the Annunciation, is a majestic Byzantine-style cathedral that stands proudly in the heart of Athens. Its exterior is a breathtaking showcase of Neo-Byzantine architecture, with domes that reach toward the heavens and intricate facades adorned with sculptures and reliefs that seem to tell stories of ancient times. As one steps inside, the overwhelming beauty of the cathedral unfolds the spacious nave stretches out like an embrace, with every inch adorned in stunning frescoes that capture the eye and the imagination. Elegant chandeliers hang like jewels from the ceiling, casting a soft glow that dances across the marble columns. The altar, a masterpiece of religious art, stands as the focal point, its golden iconostases and intricately carved woodwork glimmering with an ethereal light. This sacred space, nestled near Syntagma Square, is more than just a church it’s a landmark of Athens, drawing worshippers and tourists alike, all eager to witness its beauty and significance.

This was where Ethan chose for their wedding. It wasn't a grand affair or a statement of power, but something small, intimate, and deeply authentic at least in the eyes of human laws. Ethan was not a devout believer, but he wasn’t about to take any chances. He wanted their marriage to meet all the requirements, ticking every box. It would also conveniently explain her sudden disappearance from the grid.

Spring in Athens is a season of rebirth, marked by mild temperatures, blooming flowers, and vibrant greenery. The city shakes off the chill of winter, and as it does, the landscape bursts into life. Trees bud, parks and gardens are awash with color, and flowers bloom in every corner, spreading joy and fragrance through the air. Clear, sunny days become the norm, with only the occasional spring shower to remind one of the season’s capriciousness. There’s a sense of renewal, an energy that pulses through the city as outdoor cafes and tavernas come alive, bustling with locals and tourists who are eager to soak in the sun and the atmosphere. The National Garden and Filopappou Hill become popular spots for leisurely strolls, picnics, or simply basking in the beauty of nature's revival.

The village near the Cathedral bustled with life, its charm amplified by the familiarity among its residents. The sound of greetings exchanged over garden walls, the sight of old friends stopping for a chat in the street, and the occasional burst of laughter from a nearby café filled the air with a warmth that was impossible to ignore. Elderly women, wrapped in shawls despite the gentle warmth of the spring sun, sat on benches, their knitting needles clacking as they exchanged gossip. Children ran through the streets, their laughter echoing as they chased one another, weaving in and out of the legs of adults who shook their heads but smiled nonetheless.

For Leila, the heady scent of jasmine in the air carried with it memories of moonlit evenings spent with her grandmother bless her soul. The sweet fragrance reminded her of laughter, of long conversations that stretched into the night. The vibrant colors of bougainvillea brought back carefree days of exploration, while the sight of oleanders in the parks conjured images of joyful summers spent with friends, dipping toes into cool streams. Roses, with their timeless scent, whispered tales of love and romance, but today, their presence seemed almost mocking. They taunted her with visions of what her life could have been, what it was supposed to be, before it all came crashing down.

This was not the wedding she had dreamed of, not by any stretch of the imagination. In fact, everything about it was wrong, down to the groom. Her dream wedding was supposed to be ostentatious, a grand event accented with a blue and silver theme, surrounded by her numerous friends, family, and colleagues. Her gown was to be crafted by a well-known designer, its fabric woven with golden threads that shimmered with every step she took. The frown that now marred her face was a stark contrast to the smile she had imagined the smile of a bride marrying the love of her life, her cheeks flushed with joy, her heart racing in anticipation. In her dreams, her groom’s eyes never strayed from hers, his hands always reaching for her, holding her close, making her feel safe and cherished. She would bask in his warmth, feeling the tingles every time his fingers brushed against her skin.

But here she was, in a reality that was a far cry from her dreams. Her gaze drifted to Ethan, who wore an expression of intense concentration, devoid of any emotion. It was humiliating. They had snuck in through the back to avoid reporters, into a quiet neighborhood to meet an old priest with only two witnesses present. The villagers, accustomed to their routine, barely batted an eye at the strangers in their midst. They were used to weddings, though usually much more celebratory than this one. Still, a curious glance or a whispered conversation followed them, even if only for a moment.

No ring, no grand wedding, no proposal just a hasty ceremony with makeshift rings made of metal wire. When all she had wanted was at least an 18-carat diamond ring to mark the occasion. She sighed in defeat, feeling like a ragged doll, with disheveled hair, ripped jeans, and a crop top that barely covered her midriff. The only touch of finesse was a flower crown that she had managed to acquire after much glaring and complaining a little girl had given it to her, along with a bunch of jasmine. Despite her apparent anger, she had smiled sweetly and accepted it. This was all so very messed up.

After the ceremony, for reasons she couldn’t comprehend, Ethan seemed less tense, his stern demeanor melting into a grin that only added to her frustration. He muttered something about getting her genuine rings later, as if she cared. But when he noticed her sulky expression, he took to ignoring her altogether the supposed happy little bride choosing instead to immerse himself in playing the perfect groom. It was for the best, she supposed, because she didn’t know how she would react if he kept up the act of an insanely loving fiancé.

Silently, she gritted her teeth as he charmed the elderly with his manners, handed out sweets and chocolates to the children, and acted the part of a gentleman with the youth. They kept muttering about how lucky she was to have him, their eyes filled with admiration. Meanwhile, she could barely contain her irritation, every word of praise for him feeling like a dagger to her pride. He was playing the role perfectly, while she was left to grapple with the reality of her situation, a reality she had never wanted or imagined.

The villagers, despite their apparent distraction, couldn’t help but watch the couple as they walked by, some offering quiet blessings under their breath, others sending curious glances their way. A few of the older women exchanged knowing looks, as if they had seen this play out a hundred times before a young bride, uncertain and out of place, and a groom who seemed too good to be true. They muttered to themselves in low tones, their voices blending with the hum of the village as life continued around them.

Leila could feel their eyes on her, the weight of their collective gaze pressing down on her like a heavy cloak. But she kept her head high, her steps steady, even as her heart ached with the realization that this was her new reality, one of pretence but not for long, she promised herself. The villagers, with their easy smiles and gentle nods, might see a happy bride, but inside, she felt anything but.