Chapter 4

(Y/n)'s P.O.V

My eyebrows furrowed when Dean finished his story. By the sound of things the demon was insane and probably meant another thing when she said food. But what really was confusing was that Sarah wasn't dead. What Dean had described would have been a lethal bite infected with venom. Yet the noble was still breathing. Barely Clinging onto life, yet still alive.

"The only demons that haven't acted crazy and attacked me on sight is you and Sebastian. Each one I had encountered however, had a distinct smell." Dean leaned back against the wall and crossed his arms. "It's a sickly smell, rotten and disgusting."

"Anything else?" I asked and Dean nodded hesitantly, unfolding his arms and pushing off  the wall.

"There is something I want to show you." He walked out of the room and I followed, not making a sound. Twisting around corners, Dean seemed to have the same idea. He was unusually silent and it wasn't at all comfortable. I stared at his back, thinking about the time when he was my demon, he had gotten a lot softer towards his masters. Suddenly he stopped in front of a door. Its blackened wood was covered in cracks and chips. The male demon laid a hand on the rusted brass knob and opened the door to reveal a dark room. Along the walls were many display cases full of strange items. Some jars of preserved organs were proudly placed on shelves out of my reach.

"I didn't realise you were into this kind of stuff." I joked and Dean stopped in front of a particular display case, with his back turned to me.

"When you have lived for thousands of years, you're gonna need to pick up a few...unique hobbies to keep you interested." He lifted up the glass of the display case, the hinges it was attached to creaked. "Boredom is a demons biggest weakness." I walked to his side, to see what he was staring down at and was completely unaware to what I was going to see. Right in front of my eyes was the destroyed head of Lyra, the female snake demon Dean had described to me before. Her face was disfigured and her eyes were a milky white. The large fangs inside her mouth were proudly presented since she forever held a silent scream.

"Why do you need to show me this?" I questioned and noticed Dean taking off his gloves.

"It's not the head that I want you to see." He grumbled and pulled out an empty vial, placing it at the tip of one of Lyra's fangs. A sudden burst of venom came from the deadly tooth and Dean pulled the vial away. It's contents were a murky brown and a certain unrecognisable smell filled the room. "Do you remember what I have told you about a snake demons venom? It's always the same, a clear liquid yet kills instantly. For some reason Lyra's venom is different and Sarah isn't dead."

"So what does this mean?" I was undeniably confused and tried to grasp what Dean was trying to say.

"I have yet to test it on other serpent demons, but this might have a connection to the food she was talking about." He answered and placed the vial down. "And this also might give us an idea on what's making demons go insane."

"But what if she was already insane? Then putting our lives on the line would just seem unneeded."

"Yet if I'm right, then we will be able to root out the problem and keep the demon species out of extinction. When we are all insane then we become an unreasonable race, meaning that we will no longer form contracts with our food. (Y/n), this then leads onto human extinction because we would just take souls when we please. We lose our source of food and then we die." Dean braced his hands on the table and narrowed his eyes down on the disfigured face of Lyra. "So...you gonna come with me to hunt some Serpent demons?"

"Gladly."

~

Sebastian's P.O.V

I kept behind my master, who was sitting on a chair, whilst he conversed with the undertaker. It seemed like a pretty obvious choice since he was a grim reaper himself. The particular case we were working on was set by the queen, who knew nothing about what species it was related to. She just thought it was a series of brutal deaths but Ciel immediately made a connection with the reapers.