Chapter 7

(The photo is you in your protectors garb)

(Y/n)'s P.O.V

it was strange. I never thought that I would return home so soon. Sebastian had taken us back to Ciel's manor and made us wait in the lounge. But something seemed off. There was a nagging voice in the back of my mind telling me to keep an eye on the window. To not let my guard down in my own home. If Grell and William was the same, they did a good job of hiding it. I fidgeted on the plush sofa, my eyes darted between the crackling flames in the hearth and the large window. Grell was draped over an armchair, kicking his legs in the air whilst reading a book. William however, sat on a wooden stool by the window and held his spear close. I swear he would marry that thing if he could.

"You know...I've never seen a demon with a scar before." Grell suddenly broke the silence and I glanced over to him with an eyebrow cocked. "The one on your cheek." Without thinking, I touched the tips of my fingers to my cheek. Feeling a raised line on my skin.

"That's strange...I didn't realise I had a scar." I said, unsure in tone and continued to run my fingers along the mystery scar. If I was correct then the scar was in the same place as the cut a demon inflicted on me. The first rabid demon I had faced and his blows that tore skin made it seem like it was on fire underneath the flesh. But why would it scar? Normally a demons regeneration would fully heal any wounds without any scars. My eyebrows drew together in confusion and I pulled my hand away.

"Well I guess there's a first for anything and a scar could mean Bassy would be interested in my perfect face." Grell sighed and flipped his hair off his shoulder. I rolled my eyes and returned my attention to the window. But then something else drew my eyes away from the glass. That something was William. He was gripping onto his spear so tight that his knuckles were bone white and the reapers eyes narrowed down on one spot outside the window. Surely he could feel something was off, probably why he wanted to sit by the window. A distant rumble reverberated within the quiet room. Grell sat up from the arm chair he was lounging on and instantly looked over to William, who was slowly standing up. My keen eyes noticed the slight tension in his muscles and the increased intensity of his stare. We all remained quiet as the rumbling continued. A sudden gun shot echoed outside the manor, followed by a loud crash.

"Mei-rin and finny." I muttered and darted out of the room, I knew something was off and of course it had to be an attack. I bolted through the halls and found my private room. The manor was under attack on a regular basis and I was in charge of defence. However, despite being human before, I had forgotten how to fight like one. This meant that I had to find a way to stop the three other protectors of this manor from recognising me. I shrugged on my black garb and pulled up my hood. I opened up my wardrobe and opened the back panel to reveal a secret compartment. Grabbing a rapier, I quickened my hands as another crash came from outside. With a swift arm, I pulled out my mask. A grey item that was shaped into the face of a skull. I placed it on my face and didn't waste any more time, running towards my window and jumping through it. I hope Sebastian doesn't mind the damage. The world became a blur as I rushed through the manors garden, getting closer to the sound of fighting. That was when I saw Finny lugging around a tree. A woman dressed in a ringmasters outfit held onto her top hat and landed on the tree.

"My dear you are too slow." She purred and ran down its body towards Finny. I quickly intervened and threw myself onto her, landing on the ground with her struggling in my arms. "Get off of me." Her forehead slammed into my mask, making the pain of her blow even worse. I fell back, grunting and panting.

"What do you want with this manor." My voice came out raspy with a slight echo, my mask was designed to change my voice so finny and the others wouldn't recognise me. A small but needed precaution.

"What do I want? You should be asking what the doctor wants." She stumbled up and took off her top hat causing her silver locks to fall down her back in a loose ponytail. Her bright purple eyes glinted with mischief and her lips were forever stuck in a smirk. There wasn't a single imperfection on her olive skin and I was sure she knew it. "I Vanessa will obey his every command and he wants you dead." How on earth did she know who I was? I couldn't let her blow my cover in front of finny, so I just tried to guide her away from using my name.

"All of this trouble for me and I didn't even get him anything."

"Send him a fruit basket, everyone loves those." Vanessa chuckled and lunged forward without any weapons. If she had any then I'm sure she'll show them last minute. I pulled out my rapier and dodged her blow, but an unseen force suddenly slammed me down to the ground. My vision splintered and I rolled onto my back, gasping for the air that was knocked out of my lungs. "Didn't see that coming did you dear?" Suddenly a tree was thrown into Vanessa and she was flung back along with the heavy item. Groaning, I sat up and glanced over in the direction the tree came from.

"I don't know who you are...but you helped me so I'm gonna help you." Finny said with a determined look and I smiled under my mask. A rush of strength rippled under my skin and I pushed myself off of the ground. Vanessa no longer held a smirk and rage was shown in those purple eyes.

"This is between us two, human." She growled and pulled off her black leather gloves. Her right hand must have been cut off in the past because in its place was a metallic replica. Steam gushed out of its joints and a ticking noise came from its cogs. She flicked her wrist and her hand changed into a pistol. I quickly stood in front of Finny and the bullets she had fired within mere seconds buried into my back. I gritted my teeth as blood trickled down my back.

"G-go." I whispered and Finny shook his head. I grabbed his shirt collar and pulled him up in the air, my face inches from his and my voice changed to a low growl. "I said go!" My eyes glared at him behind the mask and I then flung him back, returning my attention to Vanessa.

"I wouldn't move forward if I were you." She teasingly said and pulled out a small box with a button on the top. "They weren't bullets that I have fired into you." It hit me harder than any blow I had ever received. The items inside of me...they couldn't be. "Judging by the bewildered look on you face, I'm guessing you know what they are."

"B-but...how-"

"How have I created this. Well my dear, I can be described as a person who is way beyond her time." She chuckled and her thumb grazed the button, sending my heart into a frenzy. "One wrong move and then...boom."