18

It was the Edgewise that saved her

Calponia didn't hold out much hope of not being dragged out into the endless fog, certain whatever waited for her in that nether place was not friendly. She fought for her life, trying to catch herself on any object or body in her way, knocking two of the mindless zealots off their feet. It barely slowed her progress and the thread drew blood as it cut into her skin. She could feel the cool mist on her face when the whine of wood moving over wood cut through the chaotic sounds of the fight. With a groan that vibrated the ground beneath her, a plank of wood shot out across the gaping hole in the Edgewise's outer wall, catching her at chest level.

The impact drove the air from her lungs but it held her, anchoring her at the precipice of safety. Calponia braced herself around that plank of wood, planting her feet on either side of the doorway in a highly unflattering position as she clawed at the string tangled around her arm. Another vicious yank made her cry out, certain her arm was going to slice off at this rate when the actual door of the tavern slammed open.

The zealots paused and in an eerie synchronized movement turned as one to the door. In a flourish of chain-mail and silk, Lady Agatha sauntered into the room, lifting an antiquated pistol she shot without warning. Unlike Captain Ravelock's gun, this one fired more old fashion ammo, and whatever it was made of, the first zealot it struck went down like a wet sack of cement and stayed down. The woman tossed her blond curls over her armored shoulder and pulled the naked sword from the hanging loop on her waist.

She winked at Calponia before she did a spinning flourish, the blade flashing overhead. Mesmerized, Calponia saw the moment the woman's sword snagged in the air, a momentary flash of dozens of invisible threads identical to the one slicing into her arm. A thunderclap boomed through the room, ringing in her ears before the zealots fell in an inert heap.

Calponia's stare of awe was cut short as the tugging on her arm gained new painful urgency

Calponia's stare of awe was cut short as the tugging on her arm gained new painful urgency. Distracted by her arm being torn off, she missed the Munch's entrance until he plopped down next to her, using the plank to prop up the bone rifle as he looked through the scope into the fog. He made a 'tch' sound and pulled the trigger. In the same moment, Lady Agatha's sword swung like a pendulum in front of her, so close she swore her fingertips kissed steal. The tension vanished and Calponia tumbled backwards straight into someone's arms, yanked back against a chest that felt like granite.