Chapter Eighteen

Behave, Lilyana.

That voice, that voice that tormented her human life kept ringing in her ears. She tried to silence the noise in her head by covering her ears with her pillow.

Why can't you be more like your brother?

The temperature was suffocating. She couldn't stop sweating. She tried to breathe but the air felt too heavy... Everything felt too heavy.

No man will ever marry you.

She walked to her bathroom. Every part of her body begged her to stop. Every step she took made her want to shriek out of pain. She washed her face with cold water and when she looked up at the mirror, she found him staring back at her with his merciless eyes.

"Father?"-She asked in a whisper.

You have dishonored our name.

She had pushed his memory to the back of her mind, hoping to forget the parental figure that crushed her self esteem. His dark hair (splattered with gray due to his age) and wrinkled lips (which her mother would say were because he never kissed) felt almost unfamiliar. The only thing that gave him away as her father was the singular birthmark on his neck, that she carried on her own thigh like a burden.

You are a disgrace to our family.

She threw across the room every bottle and object she could find; hoping the noise of all of them falling would drown out his memory.

Look at you, you are a monster.

She ran her hand through her hair, she paced back and forth.

Your selfishness condemned you to your destiny.

You deserve to die.

She punched the mirror multiple times, until there was no trace of his father. Her hands, now stained with blood and covered with cuts, shook nervously... As if they were scared of what she would do next, of how she would hurt herself again. She could barely focus on the pain before she dropped to her knees and started vomiting blood. She didn't bother to stand up-she was sure she would fall again if she did.

The pain was unbearable. Her only wish was for it to be finally over. She took off her daylight ring and flushed it down the drain. Hopefully, she would be able to reach a window, where the sun rays burnt her body and suffering to ashes.

But that would be later; for she was too tired.

She lay on the floor, on her own pool of blood and shattered glass, and dreamt of a pair of blue eyes.

Damon couldn't be happier to finally be in the Gilbert's neighborhood.

The Council meeting had been pure torture... Especially because he spent the whole time thinking about being with Charlotte.

"Honey, I'm home!"-He said mockingly as soon as he opened the door with the key that Elena hid (so predictably) under the mat, unbothered by the fact that no one was there to welcome him properly. Charlotte told him she would be there; she had to be in her bedroom, bored out of her mind since both members of her adoptive family were at school.

He knocked on her closed door.

"Chaaar."-He called, but there was no answer.-"Open the door, booboo. Are you indecent? If so, I would love to see you."

He frowned when not even an insult or a huff was heard.

"Char?"-He called her nickname again and, after only silence followed once again, he knocked the door down.

He didn't find any clue of her, until he saw her body sprawled on the bathroom's floor, soaked in blood. He kneeled next to her and shook her desperately. She couldn't be dead! Not now that they were finally together and happy... Not ever.